How to make Perfect Quiche every time! This Quiche Recipe features a buttery, flakey crust filled with a silky, creamy custard and your choice of seasonal veggies, herbs and greens. Video.
I could hear my abandoned dreams making a racket in my soul.―
Here’s our “go-to” Quiche Recipe- a solid starting point for your own delicious creations. Use it as a foundation recipe – then add any fillings you like. The combinations truly abound! Mix and match seasonal veggies like asparagus, broccoli or mushrooms and nutrient-dense greens like spinach, chard or kale, along with fresh herbs and your choice of cheese. You really can have fun here!
What is quiche?
Quiche is a savory pie made with a flakey pie crust and creamy custard that typically includes cheese and fillings like spinach, vegetables, and herbs. Quiche can be served any time of day- as breakfast or brunch, or as a light lunch or dinner, served with a hearty green salad.
Perfect Quiche Video
What is the secret to a good quiche?
- Texture! The custard should be creamy and silky smooth – not eggy, spongy, or overly firm. It should melt in your mouth.
- Pre-bake the Crust! Pre-baking, also called “blind-baking,” ensures the crust is cooked all the way through without overbaking the custard.
- Don’t overcook. The custard should still have the tiniest “wobble” in the center when you pull it out of the oven.
Why do you Prebake a crust for quiche?
Prebaking the crust (also called blind baking) ensures the crust will be cooked all the way through without overbaking the delicate custard. Blind baking also prevents the crust from getting soggy.
Basic Quiche Recipe Ingredients
Perfect Quiche Crust
- pastry flour (a blend of whole wheat and white is nice here). Yes, you can sub AP flour, but pastry flour’s texture elevates.
- cold butter
- cold water
Perfect Quiche Custard
- cheese: gruyere, cheddar, goat cheese, feta, mozzarella, swiss, pepper jack ( basically any meltable cheese)
- herbs: basil, tarragon, dill, thyme, oregano, etc.
- greens- fresh or frozen spinach, wilted chard, bok choy or kale, fresh arugula, beet greens, etc.
- veggies: sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, leeks, sauteed zucchini, roasted or sauteed bell peppers, artichoke hearts, sauteed or roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli, roasted potatoes
- meat: crispy bacon or pancetta crumbles
How to Make Quiche
STEP ONE: Make the Crust Dough.
The crust dough is best if it can rest in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Feel free to make this ahead.
Place the flour and salt in a food processor and pulse until mixed. Add butter cubes; repeatedly pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand, with no bits bigger than a pea. It need not be uniform. Continue blending and slowly add water, just until the dough releases from the sides. Place on a piece of parchment– form into a flattened ball and refrigerate.
Roll out the crust into a 12- inch diameter. TIP: Save the scraps for patching the crust if needed.
STEP TWO: Blind-bake the Pie Crust (partially bake the pie crust)
Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a 12-inch diameter. Cut off any excess dough and save this for patching the crust if need be. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and use it to lift it into the pie pan. Center it and smooth the bottom.
Fold the edges under themselves to create a smooth edge, and crimp with your fingers.
TIP: Refrigerate at least 30 minutes (2 hours is ideal) to help prevent shrinkage- while you preheat the oven to 375F.
After the crust is chilled again, place a piece of parchment over the chilled crust and fill with pie weights or use dry beans ( yes, they can still be used in cooking after).
Bake on the middle rack until the edges are beautifully golden, about 15 minutes, remove pie weights and parchment, lightly fill any cracks with the extra pie dough, and pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork every inch or so.
Bake another 7-10 minutes, and remove when golden.
STEP THREE: Make the Custard!
Blend eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg and salt in a blender until frothy and smooth.
STEP FOUR: Prep any fillings.
Saute or steam fresh veggies you want to add to the quiche. Feel free to use leftover veggies from last night’s dinner- or raid your pantry for things like artichoke hearts (rinse and drain well)or roasted peppers in a jar. Roast potatoes, or make crispy bacon, or raid your freezer for things like frozen spinach.
STEP FIVE: Assemble the quiche.
Add half of the custard and half the cheese to the bottom of the prebaked crust. Top with fillings. Cover with the other half of the cheese and the remaining custard. Alternatively, you could first mix it all together in a bowl and pour it in.
STEP SIX: Bake and Cool.
Bake the quiche on the lower or middle rack in a 350 F oven until golden, puffed and the middle has a very slight wobble (just in the very center) when you shake the pan- be careful not to overbake ( check at 35 minutes, and then keep a close watch). Typically take 45- 55 minutes.
If the quiche is getting too dark, before the middle is cooked, lower temp to 325F , or tent lightly with foil.
Let quiche cool 15 minutes before cutting. Serve quiche warm, chilled, or at room temp.
Store quiche in the fridge up to 4 days, covered tightly. Feel free to reheat in a toaster oven or microwave.
Quiche Variations and Combinations:
- Broccoli, Scallion Cheddar (feel free to add crispy bacon)
- Sauteed asparagus, Leeks, Spinach, Goat cheese & Tarragon
- Sauteed Mushroom, Shallots or Leeks, Gruyere, Spinach, thyme
- Sauteed zucchini, bell pepper, garlic, onion, oregano and pepper jack
- Spinach, crumbled bacon and Cheddar
What to Serve with Quiche
- Brunch: Serve with roasted or Smashed potatoes, Fruit salad, Grapefruit, Fennel and Avocado Salad or a Citrus salad
- Lunch or Dinner: serve with a leafy green salad or slaw- Lemony Kale Slaw, Little Gem Salad with Dilly Ranch Dressing, Classic Caesar Salad, Rainbow Salad, Pear Salad with Vanilla Fig Dressing,
More recipes you may enjoy:
- Vegetable Frittata Baked in the Oven
- Savory Leek and Kale Galette
- Asparagus Tart with Chives, Tarragon and Gruyere
- 65 Best Breakfast Ideas!
- Mothe’s Day Brunch Ideas!
Learn the secret to making the perfect quiche every time! This Quiche Recipe features a buttery, flakey crust filled with a silky-smooth, creamy custard and your choice of veggies or greens.
Perfect Crust – 9-inch pie pan (see notes)
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour – or sub AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter (4 ounces, 8 tablespoons, or 1 stick) cut into 10-12 slices
- 3–4 tablespoons ice water
Perfect Custard– for a 9-inch pie pan (see notes)
- 3 extra-large eggs (or 4 small eggs)
- 1 cup heavy cream (do not sub milk)
- 1 cup whole milk (or substitute heavy cream or half & half)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (reduce salt to 1/2 teaspoon if adding bacon)
- 1/8– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup grated melty cheese: Gruyere, mozzarella, cheddar, jack, swiss, goat cheese or feta (go lighter on the salt) Do not skip the cheese!
- 1–2 tablespoons tender herbs: basil, tarragon, dill (or saute 1 tablespoon herbs like thyme, rosemary, sage, oregao with the veggies) all optional.
- 2 cups veggies: sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, sauteed leeks, sauteed zucchini, roasted or sauteed bell peppers, artichoke hearts, sauteed or roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli, roasted potatoes, frozen spinach(make sure to thaw and wring out all the water using a kitchen towel), fresh spinach, sauteed greens, etc.
- Optional meat: 3-4 strips crispy bacon (crumbled) or try crispy pancetta- and remember to reduce salt in the custard.
Make the Crust (allow 2 hours, or make ahead)
- Place the flour and salt in a food processor and pulse until mixed. Add the cubes of butter, pulse repeated until the mixture resembles very coarse sand, with no bits bigger than a pea. It need not be uniform. Continue blending and slowly add water, just until the dough releases from the sides. Place on a piece of parchment– form into a flattened ball. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days (or freeze for later!)
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, into a 12-inch diameter. Cut off any excess dough and save this for patching the crust if need be. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and use it to lift it into the pie pan. Center it and smooth the bottom. Fold the edges under themselves to create a smooth edge, and crimp with you fingers. (Or alternatively, you could fold the excess dough back over the edge and mold it into a rim around the pie pan, cutting off excess and crimp with a fork) Refrigerate 30 minutes to help prevent shrinkage- and preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place a piece of parchment over the chilled crust and fill with pie weights or use dry beans ( yes, they can still be used in cooking after). Bake on the middle rack until the edges are beautifully golden, about 15 minutes, remove pie weights and parchment, lightly fill any cracks with the extra pie dough, and pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork every inch or so. Bake another 7-10 minutes, and remove when golden. Reduce heat to 350F.
Make the Fillings
- While the dough is chilling, make the custard by placing the custard ingredients in a blender and blend until frothy and smooth. Or whisk really well in a bowl.
- Prep any veggies or other add-ins. Saute or steam veggies, chop spinach, prep any cheese, etc.
Assemble and Bake!
- When the crust is golden, pour half of the custard and half of the cheese on the bottom layer. Add your veggies, greens, herbs, then add the other half of the cheese and pour the remaining custard over top. Give the pan a little shake.
- Place on the lower rack of a 350F oven and bake 45-60 minutes, until puffed and golden with a just slight wobble. Give it a jiggle. Quiche is best slightly under done. If your quiche is getting too dark, tent with foil, or lower heat to 325F.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Quiche can be served warm or chilled, or at room temp.
Store the Quiche in the fridge for up to 4 days, covered. Quiche can be made ahead and reheated.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 544.4 mg
- Fat: 32 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 12.8 g
- Cholesterol: 176.9 mg
Keywords: perfect quiche, best quiche, quiche recipe, vegetarian quiche recipe, spinach quiche recipe, broccoli quiche recipe, mushroom quiche,