Grapefruit, Fennel and Avocado Salad with a Citrus Shallot Dressing- a simple, light and refreshing salad with bright zesty flavors. Vegan!
The grapefruit is amazing this year- so juicy and flavorful! Somehow they lift my spirit with their bright color and cheery aroma. Here they are paired with fennel bulb and butter lettuce and tossed in a simple Citrus Shallot Vinaigrette.
The addition of avocado and toasted pistachios add a little bit of heartiness to the salad which I crave in the colder months. Hopefully, I’m not the only person out there who craves fresh salad in winter! But I do, and most often it is at lunchtime.
For those of you who send emails about the serving bowls and utensils in my photos – just a heads up- this extra-wide wooden bowl and the gold and rattan salad servers can both be found at our Bowl and Pitcher Store.
I added toasted pistachios here, but feel free to use another nut or seed. I love the addition of red onion, but this is optional too.
The prettiest way to cut the grapefruit for this salad, is to segment it. Cut the peel away from the grapefruit using a sharp paring knife, cutting away the white pith. Then cut into wedges, within the walls of the membranes, so the membranes are not used. You are left with pretty vibrant colored wedges of grapefruit!
I love the combination of flavors in this Grapefruit Fennel and Avocado Salad- so refreshing and light. Juicy!!! Makes me so happy every time I make this.
You can make this salad ahead by layering the grapefruit and fennel and onion over the bed of butter lettuce in a wide bowl. Cover and keep in the fridge for up to 12 hours. Right before serving, add the avocado and pistachios and spoon the dressing over top. Gently toss. Enjoy!!!
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn
- 1 medium fennel bulb, very thinly shaved or sliced on a mandolin
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented (see notes)
- ¼ cup red onion, very thinly sliced ( soak in water for 10 minutes if you like)
- 1 ripe avocado- sliced
- ¼ cup toasted pistachios ( optional, sub other nut or seed)
- Arrange the torn butter lettuce leaves on a large platter or in wide wooden bowl.
- Top with thinly shaved fennel (use a mandolin if possible) grapefruit segments, red onion and avocado slices.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Spoon dressing over the salad right before serving (you may not need to use all the dressing, depending on how big your butter lettuce is).
- Give a gentle toss.
The prettiest way to cut the grapefruit for this salad, is to segment it. Cut the peel away from the grapefruit using a sharp pairing knife, cutting away the white pith. Then cut into wedges, within the walls of the membranes, so the membranes are not used. You are left with pretty vibrant colored wedges of grapefruit!
If you have a hard time digesting raw onion, soak the sliced onion in water, or vinegar water for 15 minutes before adding to the salad.
Keywords: Grapefruit salad, fennel salad, fennel salad recipe, avocado salad, avocado salad recipe, vegan salads, citrus salad, fennel grapefruit salad