- 1 head butter lettuce, torn
- 1 medium fennel bulb, very thinly shaved or sliced on a mandolin
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented (see notes)
- ¼ cup red onion, very thinly sliced ( soak in water for 10 minutes if you like)
- 1 ripe avocado– sliced
- ¼ cup toasted pistachios ( optional, sub other nut or seed)
- Arrange the torn butter lettuce leaves on a large platter or in wide wooden bowl.
- Top with thinly shaved fennel (use a mandolin if possible) grapefruit segments, red onion and avocado slices.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Spoon dressing over the salad right before serving (you may not need to use all the dressing, depending on how big your butter lettuce is).
- Give a gentle toss.
The prettiest way to cut the grapefruit for this salad, is to segment it. Cut the peel away from the grapefruit using a sharp pairing knife, cutting away the white pith. Then cut into wedges, within the walls of the membranes, so the membranes are not used. You are left with pretty vibrant colored wedges of grapefruit!
If you have a hard time digesting raw onion, soak the sliced onion in water, or vinegar water for 15 minutes before adding to the salad.
Keywords: Grapefruit salad, fennel salad, fennel salad recipe, avocado salad, avocado salad recipe, vegan salads, citrus salad, fennel grapefruit salad