Cool and crunchy, Little Gem Salad with cucumber, radish, avocado, pickled onions, fresh herbs, and pepitas, tossed in a creamy, tangy, Dilly Ranch Dressing. Vegan-adaptable- see notes.
No matter how difficult and painful it may be, nothing sounds as good to the soul as the truth. ~Martha Beck
Hello, salad of my dreams! We have been loving the Santa Barbara Farmers Market this time of year- and one of my favorite veggies as of late has been Little Gem Lettuce.
Here Little Gems are tossed with radishes, cucumbers, pickled onions, pepitas, avocado, sunflower sprouts, and lots of fresh herbs in a creamy, homemade Dilly Ranch Dressing.
Cool, creamy and crunchy, this Little Gem Salad satisfies!
What are Little Gems?
If unfamiliar, Little Gems are little heads of lettuce usually under 4 inches in length when fully grown. They are a cross between romaine and butterhead lettuce. Also called Sucrine (French for sugar), Little Gem lettuce is known for its slightly sweet flavor, with a beautiful crunchy texture.
It’s a good option for those who are sensitive to bitter flavors- Little Gems have no bitterness to speak of. So perfect for kid’s palates, or salad newbies.
This Little Gem Salad comes together easily. Just layer the ingredients, separating the leaves- taking care to wash and spin them dry to help remove any tiny critters within the leaves.
What you’ll need:
- Little Gems lettuce- or sub romaine hearts
- Radishes or Watermelon radishes
- Cucumber- Turkish, Persian, or English
- Pickled onions or pickled shallots (or sub fresh red onion)
- Pepitas– or sunflower seeds
- Sunflower Sprouts or Microgreens
- Fresh Herbs- dill, tarragon, flat-leaf parsley – a combo is nice or any of the three.
- One Batch Dilly Ranch- or see notes for a vegan option.
Make the Dilly Ranch Dressing by whisking everything in a bowl, refrigerating it.
When ready to serve, toss the salad. You can make everything ahead, and toss right before serving.
The creamy, herby, lemony, Dilly Ranch Dressing compliments the crunchy Little Gems perfectly!
A delicious spring salad that will pair with many many things.
More salad recipes you may enjoy!
- Lemony Potato Salad with Peas
- Classic Greek Salad
- Smoked Salmon, Avocado & Fennel Salad
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Spirulina Sea Salad
- Creamy Vegan Broccoli Salad
Enjoy playing with little gems, they are such a joy in the kitchen!
- Little Gem Lettuce- 3-4 heads, leaves separated, washed (or sub 2 romaine hearts, torn)
- 1 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup radishes, thinly sliced (watermelon radish is nice here)
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts (or microgreens)
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions, or pickled shallots (or sub thinly sliced red onion)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (or sunflower seeds)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves, optional
- optional additions: thinly shaved fennel, thinly sliced kohlrabi or salad turnips, matchstick carrots, grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, blanched green beans
Dilly Ranch Dressing (you won’t use all) see notes for vegan
- If making the quick pickled onions or pickled shallots, start these first.
- Make the dressing, by whisking the mayo, buttermilk, and sour cream in a bowl until smooth, stir in the remaining ingredients, and place in the fridge- you want this cold!
- Separate the little gem lettuce leaves. Tear any extra-large ones in half, but leave any smaller ones whole. Wash and spin dry or pat dry ( or spread out on a towel on the counter and let air dry.
- Place the lettuce leaves in a big bowl, and add the remaining ingredients. At this point, you could refrigerate until serving. Right before serving toss with a little cold dressing- a little at a time- you will not need all. Just enough to coat each leaf generously.
- Taste! Season the salad with a little salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. You want the salad to taste “punchy”, to balance out all those fresh herbs.
Keywords: Little Gem Salad, Little Gems, Little Gems salad recipe, Little gem recipe