This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This simple Kale Slaw with Lemon-Garlic Dressing can be made ahead, then used throughout the week to top off tacos, wraps, buddha bowls, burgers, and even pizza. An easy way to get in your dark leafy greens. Vegan and Gluten-Free, this amazing kale slaw keeps up to 4 days in the fridge.
Here’s a simple recipe for Kale Slaw, with a tangy lemon garlic dressing that can be made ahead and used throughout the week to top off tacos, buddha bowls, wraps, etc.
A boost of nutrients all ready to go! Made with sturdy lacinato kale it holds up in the fridge for 4 days. I know it’s hard to believe, but try it and see. Kind of amazing, actually!
If serving the Kale Slaw right away, dress it up with toasted seeds ( or try our salad topper!) avocado, cherry tomatoes, and fresh herbs.
Ingredients in Kale Slaw
- Kale– We prefer lacinato kale in the recipe- with flat deep dark green leaves. It is sturdy and will keep for longer in the fridge.
- Red onions- Slicing thinly and soaking in water tames their bit!
- Cabbage– optional- we love adding for the color.
- Olive oil – choose an olive oil that is smooth in flavor and not overly bitter ( kale can already be bitter so you don’t want to add to this)
- Lemon- to add a lovely brightness. Roasting the lemon is an option here which intensifies it’s flavor.
- Seasonings– Salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Optional additions: toasted seeds ( hemp, pumpkin, sunflower, or try salad topper) pecorino cheese (not vegan) and fresh herbs ( dill, parsley, basil, etc).
How to make Kale Slaw
Step one: Remove the thick stems and stack the leaves.
Thinly slice into ribbons.
Finely slice the cabbage and red onion and add it to the mix.
Step two: Make the Lemony Dressing and toss with the greens.
Step three: Add seeds and fresh herbs. Here I’m using pumpkin seeds and parsley but use what you like!
Optional Kale Slaw Additions:
- seeds: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds or try our salad topper!
- nuts: pecan, almonds, walnut, hazelnuts
- avocado: add when serving the salad
- tomatoes– add beautiful color, add when serving.
- radishes– adds a fresh crunch!
- carrots – carrot ribbons are nice here and will keep crisp over several days.
- sprouts or microgreens: add when serving
- tender herbs: flat-leaf parsley, basil, cilantro, tarragon, dill
How to store Kale Slaw
Store the kale slaw in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days, to use throughout the week.
Other Kale Recipes you may enjoy:
- Kale Salad with Almonds and Pomegranate
- Emerald Kale Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Kale, Apples and Maple Pecans
- Kale Caesar Salad with Millet Croutons
- Charred Asparagus Kale Pasta with Lemony Cannellini Beans
This simple Kale Slaw with Lemony Dressing can be made ahead, then used throughout the week to top off tacos, wraps, buddha bowls, burgers, and even pizza. An easy way to get in your dark leafy greens. Vegan and Gluten-Free, this amazing kale slaw keeps up to 4 days in the fridge.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1/4 of red onion, very finely sliced, soaked in water for 15 minutes, drain.
- 1/4 cup tender herbs of your choosing (optional) cilantro, basil, parsley, chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice from 1–2 small lemons – try roasting them first, see notes!
- 1–2 garlic cloves finely minced (use a garlic press)
- pepper and chili flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted hemp seeds, sunflower seed , or pumpkin seeds or make our salad topper!
- Optional: If you are not vegan, adding a little pecorino cheese adds delicious depth.
- Remove (cut) thicker stems from the kale, then stack the leaves. Slice them thinly into ribbons and place in a large bowl. Slice the cabbage thinly and add to the bowl. Add the red onion to the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt and minced garlic cloves, give a good toss (or feel free to massage with your fingers). Add lemon juice to taste. You want the salad to taste tangy and flavorful!
- Season with pepper and chili flakes to taste. Add any fresh herbs, toasted seeds, pecorino or other optional additions (see post body).
- Serve or store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days!
For a boost of lemon flavor, try roasting or grilling the lemons. Cut them in half and place them open side down on the grill or on a parchment-lined sheet pan for 25 minutes in a 425F oven. They should darken.
Let them come to room temperature and squeeze into the salad. The flavor will be slightly more intense, so add conservatively, adding more to taste. Sweet and sour!
If sensitive to onions, after slicing, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, drain. This will take the bitterness out.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 85.4 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan kale slaw, kale slaw, kale salad, lemony kale slaw, vegan kale slaw, roasted lemon dressing,