This simple Kale Slaw with Lemon-Garlic Dressing can be made ahead, then used throughout the week to top off tacos, wraps, buddha bowls, burgers, and even pizza. An easy way to get in your dark leafy greens. Vegan and Gluten-Free, this amazing kale slaw keeps up to 4 days in the fridge.
Don’t get me wrong, this Kale Slaw is delicious -but it’s is more about the idea than the recipe. The idea is to make a big batch of this kale slaw, on Sunday and use it daily during the week to top off things you are already making – tacos, avocado toast, buddha bowls, eggplant wraps ….even pizza!
A boost of nutrients all ready to go! Made with sturdy lacinato kale it …actually holds up in the fridge for 4 days. I know, it’s hard to believe, but try it and see. Kind of amazing actually!
Instead of thinking of this a “salad” which of course you could, I like to think of this as a condiment like salsa or pickled onions. But this condiment is packed full of nutrients. And the fact that it is all ready to go will mean that you will absolutely use it more during the week. Keeping the dressing simple and basic will allow you to use it on a huge variety of meals.
Here I’ve tossed the slaw with a tangy Lemon Dressing but with one little twist (of course). I’ve roasted the lemons first. Optional, but tasty! Roasting (or grilling) the lemon intensifies both sweetness and sourness giving the lemon juice a huge burst of flavor. It is NOT absolutely necessary, but a fun option if you have time.
How to make Kale Slaw
Step one: Remove the thick stems and stack the leaves.
Thinly slice into ribbons.
Finely slice the cabbage and red onion and add it to the mix.
Step two: Make the Lemony Dressing and toss with the greens.
Step three: Add seeds and fresh herbs. Here I’m using pumpkin seeds and parsley but use what you like!
Optional Kale Slaw Additions:
- seeds: pumpkin, sunflower, hemp
- nuts: pecan, almonds, walnut, hazelnuts
- avocado: add when serving the salad
- sprouts or microgreens: add when serving
- tender herbs: flat-leaf parsley, basil, cilantro, tarragon, dill
How to store Kale Slaw
Store the kale slaw in the fridge in a sealed container to use throughout the week.
Other Kale Recipes you may enjoy:
- Kale Salad with Almonds and Pomegranate
- Emerald Kale Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin Salad with Kale, Apples and Maple Pecans
- Kale Caesar Salad with Millet Croutons
- Charred Asparagus Kale Pasta with Lemony Cannellini Beans
This simple Kale Slaw with Lemony Dressing can be made ahead, then used throughout the week to top off tacos, wraps, buddha bowls, burgers, and even pizza. An easy way to get in your dark leafy greens. Vegan and Gluten-Free, this amazing kale slaw keeps up to 4 days in the fridge.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1/4 of red onion, very finely sliced ( see notes)
- 1/4 cup tender herbs of your choosing (optional) cilantro, basil, parsley, chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice from 1–2 small lemons – try roasting them first, see notes!
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced (use a garlic press)
- pepper and chili flakes to taste
- Optional seeds for sprinkling – hemp, sunflower , pumpkin seeds
- Remove (cut) thicker stems from the kale, then stack the leaves. Slice them thinly into ribbons and place in a large bowl. Slice the cabbage thinly and add to the bowl. Slice the red onion thinly and add to the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt and minced garlic cloves, give a good toss (or feel free to massage with your fingers). Add lemon juice to taste. You want the salad to taste tangy and flavorful!
- Season with pepper and chili flakes to taste. Add any fresh herbs or seeds or optional additions (see post body)
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days!
For a boost of lemon flavor, try roasting or grilling the lemons. Cut them in half and place them open side down on the grill or on a parchment-lined sheet pan for 25 minutes in a 425F oven. They should darken.
Let them come to room temperature and squeeze into the salad. The flavor will be slightly more intense, so add conservatively, adding more to taste. Sweet and sour!
If sensitive to onions, after slicing, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, drain. This will take the bitterness out.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 85.4 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan kale slaw, kale slaw, kale salad, lemony kale slaw, vegan kale slaw, roasted lemon dressing,