This simple Kale Slaw with Lemony Dressing can be made ahead, then used throughout the week to top off tacos, wraps, buddha bowls, burgers, and even pizza. An easy way to get in your dark leafy greens. Vegan and Gluten-Free, this amazing kale slaw keeps up to 4 days in the fridge.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale
- 1/2 small head purple cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1/4 of red onion, very finely sliced ( see notes)
- 1/4 cup tender herbs of your choosing (optional) cilantro, basil, parsley, chives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice from 1–2 small lemons – try roasting them first, see notes!
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced (use a garlic press)
- pepper and chili flakes to taste
- Optional seeds for sprinkling – hemp, sunflower , pumpkin seeds
- Remove (cut) thicker stems from the kale, then stack the leaves. Slice them thinly into ribbons and place in a large bowl. Slice the cabbage thinly and add to the bowl. Slice the red onion thinly and add to the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt and minced garlic cloves, give a good toss (or feel free to massage with your fingers). Add lemon juice to taste. You want the salad to taste tangy and flavorful!
- Season with pepper and chili flakes to taste. Add any fresh herbs or seeds or optional additions (see post body)
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days!
For a boost of lemon flavor, try roasting or grilling the lemons. Cut them in half and place them open side down on the grill or on a parchment-lined sheet pan for 25 minutes in a 425F oven. They should darken.
Let them come to room temperature and squeeze into the salad. The flavor will be slightly more intense, so add conservatively, adding more to taste. Sweet and sour!
If sensitive to onions, after slicing, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, drain. This will take the bitterness out.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 77
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 85.4 mg
- Fat: 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan kale slaw, kale slaw, kale salad, lemony kale slaw, vegan kale slaw, roasted lemon dressing,