This make-life-simple Everyday Kale Slaw with a simple lemon dressing is vegan and gluten-free and is designed to be made ahead for the busy workweek. It keeps 4-5 days in the fridge and be used daily to top tacos, buddha bowls, burgers, even pizza!
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale, cut into very fine ribbons
- ½ small head cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- ¼ of a red onion, very finely sliced ( see notes)
- ¼ cup tender herbs of your choosing (optional) cilantro, basil, parsley, chives
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice from 1–2 small lemons – try roasting them first, see notes!
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced ( use a garlic press)
- salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste
- Optional seeds for sprinkling – hemp, sunflower , pumpkin seeds
Place all slaw ingredients in a big bowl – kale, cabbage, onion, herbs. Toss well.
Add the oil, lemon juice to taste, minced garlic and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Add chili flakes to taste. Toss well. Taste and adjust the salt and lemon. You want the salad to taste tangy and flavorful! Store in a sealed container in the fridge for 4-5 days!
Let them come to room temperature and squeeze into the salad. The flavor will be slightly more intense, so add conservatively, adding more to taste. Sweet and sour!
If sensitive to onions, after slicing, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, drain. This will take the bitterness out.
Keywords: kale slaw, kale salad, lemony kale slaw, vegan kale slaw, roasted lemon dressing,