Watch How to cut a Pomegranate | 2 min video!
Stir in the dressing ingredients and you are good to go.
This salad will last a good 3-4 days in the fridge!
More Farro Recipes you may like:Print
This Kale and Farro Salad is one of my all-time favorite vegan salads. Think of it like a Winter Tabouli Salad. It’s loaded up with chopped kale and parsley and instead of bulgar, hearty farro is added to the mix. Pomegranate seeds replace out-of-season tomatoes here and toasted almonds give this a nice crunch! The best part? It can be made ahead!
- 1 cup cooked farro (or sub wheat berries, bulgar wheat, quinoa, or other grain)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale ( 8-10 ounces) finely chopped, about 4–5 cups.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped ( tender stems, OK) about 1-2 cups
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (or purchase frozen)
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped, slivered, or sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Optional Garnish: Avocado slices for extra richness
- Start farro to cook on the stove ( 1/2 cup dry). Place in a pot of salted water, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, simmer gently until tender, 30-40 minutes. Drain.
- Chop kale finely and place in a large bowl. Add oil, salt, garlic and lemon zest. Massage the kale with clean hands until kale becomes tenderized, 4-5 minutes.
- Add parsley, onion, pomegranate, almonds and farro. Toss to combine and add lemon juice and allspice and cinnamon.
- Mix and taste, adding more salt, allspice and lemon to your taste. If making ahead, make sure to re-taste right before serving- the farro will soak up much of the salt and lemon, so usually I’ll add more.
- For extra richness, right before serving, add slices of avocado if you like.
Updated recipe on 12/ 2019. The original recipe used 2 cups of cooked farro.
This will keep 2-3 days in the fridge.
Sometimes I’ll add other herbs to this as well – cilantro and/or mint. Tasty!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 205.7 mg
- Fat: 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.6 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: farro kale salad, kale Farro Salad, kale tabouleh, winter tabbouleh, kale tabbouleh, kale salad with pomegranate, farro kale salad, holiday salad,