This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Watch How to cut a Pomegranate | 2 min video!
Stir in the dressing ingredients and you are good to go.
This salad will last a good 3-4 days in the fridge!
More Farro Recipes you may like:
Toasted Farro with Pear, Hazelnuts and Arugula
Roasted Cauliflower Farro Salad with Turmeric Dressing
Farro Risotto with Roasted Acorn Squash
Farro Salad with Beets and their Tops
Mediterranean Farro Salad w/ Marinated Zucchini and Chickpeas
Pickled Cherry and Farro SaladPrint
Kale and Farro Salad with Almonds & Pomegranate
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: salad, vegan salad
- Method: tossed
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
This Kale and Farro Salad is one of my all-time favorite vegan salads. Think of it like a Winter Tabouli Salad. It’s loaded up with chopped kale and parsley and instead of bulgar, hearty farro is added to the mix. Pomegranate seeds replace out-of-season tomatoes here and toasted almonds give this a nice crunch! The best part? It can be made ahead!
- 1 cup cooked farro (or sub wheat berries, bulgar wheat, quinoa, or other grain)
- 1 bunch lacinato kale ( 8-10 ounces) finely chopped, about 4–5 cups.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, very finely chopped ( tender stems, OK) about 1-2 cups
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (or purchase frozen)
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped, slivered, or sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Optional Garnish: Avocado slices for extra richness
- Start farro to cook on the stove ( 1/2 cup dry). Place in a pot of salted water, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, simmer gently until tender, 30-40 minutes. Drain.
- Chop kale finely and place in a large bowl. Add oil, salt, garlic and lemon zest. Massage the kale with clean hands until kale becomes tenderized, 4-5 minutes.
- Add parsley, onion, pomegranate, almonds and farro. Toss to combine and add lemon juice and allspice and cinnamon.
- Mix and taste, adding more salt, allspice and lemon to your taste. If making ahead, make sure to re-taste right before serving- the farro will soak up much of the salt and lemon, so usually I’ll add more.
- For extra richness, right before serving, add slices of avocado if you like.
Updated recipe on 12/ 2019. The original recipe used 2 cups of cooked farro.
This will keep 2-3 days in the fridge.
Sometimes I’ll add other herbs to this as well – cilantro and/or mint. Tasty!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 205.7 mg
- Fat: 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.6 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 4.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: farro kale salad, kale Farro Salad, kale tabouleh, winter tabbouleh, kale tabbouleh, kale salad with pomegranate, farro kale salad, holiday salad,
SO good Sylvia! Took me a while to prep as I have a hand disability, but totally worth it! Used the food processor to prep the parsley and 1/2 the almonds. Used twice as much lemon juice and freshly ground allspice. Served it on micro watercress. Just delightful! My BF said it’s like those fancy salads they sell at our high end deli for $16 a pound. And now he knows why! Thank you! This will be repeated in our kitchen!
*and super kudos to the reader that told us pomegranate seeds can be used from frozen! Who knew? They’re in my freezer now;)
Thanks for sharing Kathey- and so glad you gavoe this a go!
Hi Sylvia, I love this salad! I had cooked quinoa on hand and added a fresh chopped pear for a little sweetness for lunch today for my husband and me. I will definitely be making this again. Enjoying many of your recipes. Thank you!
Perfect Danette! Glad you are enjoying…
Excellent Salad. Really yummy.
Glad you enjoyed!
So delicious! I could eat this everyday. 🙂 Adapted the recipe because I didn’t have all the ingredients. Substituted the farro with quinoa and the kale with arugula (did not add the garlic).
Perfect Sophie-great to hear!
Excellent! Loved the cinnamon and allspice and the farro makes it more substantial than just a side salad. Very pretty too. Would make for an applesauce dish when entertaining.
thanks Ashley! Glad you enjoyed it!
I guess I love kale! The flavors in this salad are delicious. It was great to be able to make it ahead of time so I could enjoy my guests and dinner.
Awesome Fiona! Yes, a good one for making ahead- glad you liked it!
Made this. Forgot the parsley, but still LOVED it!! Perfect lunch and saves so well in fridge. Will be making again
Glad you enjoyed this Caroline! Thanks!
I really loved this recipe. I eat Kale everyday and this was a new way to dress it up for me. I told my husband it would be “good for his colon” which is our code for “healthy and contains lots of fiber”. We added just a touch of feta. Next time to soften the texture we might make it with quinoa or his suggestion was Israeli cous cous…not as healthy of a grain but sounds like an interesting edit. Thanks again Sylvia for a great dish!
Thanks Kara- glad you liked this. Quinoa would be great here!
I love this recipe and massaged kale is a new favorite. Because fresh pomegranates are not in season, I first made this with Trader Joe’s pomegranate seeds but they had fermented too much and almost tasted moldy. Then I found frozen pomegranate seeds at my local grocer and those worked much better.
Hi Jane! Thanks for sharing- I love that you found frozen pomegranate seeds- I will note the recipe. I had no idea they existed so great to know!
This salad is fantastic! We are detoxing and my husband said if this is what it tastes like to detox we will stay like that forever! He gave it 5 stars too
Yay!! Glad you enjoyed it!