Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things they are transformed.
~ Thích Nhất Hạnh~
This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with apple, ginger and coconut is so cozy and comforting. It’s made with very humble, ingredients, yet feels decadent! Vegan and gluten-free, it is topped a swirl of warmed coconut milk and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Apples give this Butternut Soup the perfect amount of sweetness and tartness to balance the creamy nutty earthy flavor of the butternut squash. Butternuts and Apples love to be together and compliment each other well. A good marriage.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup! | 60-sec Video
How to make Butternut Squash Soup:
- Roast the butternut squash
- Sauté the apples, shallots, garlic and ginger.
- Blend both until smooth and silky with veggie stock and water.
- Add coconut milk.
- Season and garnish!
You can make the soup thick or thin, depending on the amount of liquid you use.
If you are trying to go lighter here, instead of adding coconut milk directly into the soup, you could just spoon a little over the top, heating it first.
Sprinkle a little sumac for tartness and color if you have it on hand.
Sprinkle the finished Butternut Squash Soup with pumpkin seeds for added texture.
Anyways, it’s a tasty simple fall soup and it’s easy to make.
To make this even faster, roast the butternut ahead, say the night before and store it in the fridge until ready to make the soup. Then the soup only takes 20 minutes.
The leftovers make a delicious lunch. Serve with crusty bread!
Hope you are getting outside and enjoying this beautiful fall…isn’t it sooooo amazing?
More fall soups you may like:
- 25 Delicious Vegetarian & Vegan Soup Recipes
- Glowing Carrot Soup
- Jalapeño Broccoli & Cheddar Soup (Vegan)
- Simple Tomato Soup
- Coconut Corn Chowder with Leeks
- Curried Zucchini Soup
- North African Carrot soup
- Glowing Carrot Soup
- 1 small butternut (2.5 pounds -or 4 cups of cooked butternut)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, or olive oil
- 2 apples- gala, honey crisp – diced ( unpeeled)
- 2 large shallots ( or 1/2 an onion)- diced
- 5 fat garlic cloves – rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger – rough chopped
- 2 cups veggie stock or chicken stock
- 1 1/2– 2 cups water ( or a ¼ –½ cup less for a thicker soup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch cayenne, optional
- 1/2–1 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- Garnish- pumpkin seeds, sumac, warm coconut milk, sautéed diced apple ( sauté in coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Split the butternut in half lengthwise, place open side down, on a greased or parchment-lined, rimmed sheet pan. Roast 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, through the skin at the top, narrow end.
- While the butternut is roasting, chop the onion, apple, garlic, and ginger.
- Heat coconut oil in a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add onion and apple and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring until golden and tender, then add garlic and ginger, and cook 4-5 more minutes, turning the heat down to med-low. It will smell divine. Turn heat off.
- When the butternut is tender, flip them over, let them cool down, enough to handle, then scoop out seeds. Scoop out flesh and place in a bowl, you should have 3 ½ to 4 cups.
- Add the apple onion mixture to the same bowl.
- Then, blend in batches with the stock and water, until very smooth, using a blender. (If using hot ingredients, be sure to Hold the lid down tight with a kitchen towel– to prevent a blender explosion!) If you prefer a thicker soup, add less water, thinner soup, more water.
- Add the blended soup back into the same pot and warm over low heat. Add salt, maple, apple cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in coconut milk to taste.
- To serve, divide among bowls, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds & sumac ( optional).
To drizzle coconut milk over the top, I find it’s easier to heat it up a bit first then spoon it over top in a circular motion.
Keywords: butternut squash soup, vegan butternut squash soup, vegan butternut soup, butternut squash soup vegan, Vegan Butternut soup, butternut apple soup, butternut soup recipes, vegan butternut soup, healthy butternut soup