Roasted Butternut Apple Soup with Ginger and coconut. This silky fall soup is full of flavor and vegan and gluten free.
Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things they are transformed.
~ Thích Nhất Hạnh~
This Roasted Butternut Apple Soup with ginger and coconut is vegan and gluten-free. It’s made with very humble, simple ingredients, topped with pumpkin seeds, a swirl of warmed coconut milk and a sprinkling of sumac, optional but worth getting to know. Sumac, if unfamiliar adds a pleasingly tartness that once you experience, you will fall in love with. Think of sumac as a “finishing” spice that will give your dishes a burst of unexpected brightness. Not spicy, just wonderfully tangy, perking up somber dishes in a unique and different way. If you don’t have it or can’t find it, don’t worry, just tuck this away for when you do finally run into it.
But don’t skip out on the apples…they make this soup sing. Apples give the right amount of sweetness and tartness to balance the creamy nutty earthy flavor of the butternut squash. Butternuts and Apples, love to be together and compliment each other well. They are such a good match. Another soup I like to add apples to – is this Parsnip Apple Soup, one of my very first posts on the blog. Another example of an earthy vegetable being brought to life with apples.
Roast the butternut, and sauté the apples, shallots, garlic and ginger.
Blend it until smooth and silky with veggie stock and water. Season and serve.
You can make the soup thick or thin, depending on the amount of liquid you use.
Instead of adding coconut milk directly into the soup, to keep it lighter, just spoon a little over the top, heating it first.
Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and sumac.
You can also add sautéed, diced apples to the top for texture and a burst of flavor which I did here in this thicker version.
Anyways, it’s a tasty soup and easy to make. To make this even faster, roast the butternut ahead, say the night before and store it in the fridge until ready to make the soup. Then the soup takes 20 minutes. The leftovers make a tasty lunch. Serve with crusty rustic bread and hard apple cider.
Hope you are getting outside and enjoying this beautiful fall…isn’t it sooooo amazing?Print
Roasted Butternut Apple Soup with Coconut and Ginger
A simple recipe for Roasted Butternut Apple Soup with Ginger, Coconut, Pumpkin Seeds and optional Sumac – vegan and gluten free.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup, Vegan, Gluten-free
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 1 small butternut ( 2.5 pounds -or 4 cups of cooked butternut)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, or olive oil
- 2 apples- gala, fuji, honey crisp – diced
- 2 large shallots ( or 1 onion)- diced
- 5 fat garlic cloves – rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger – rough chopped
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 2 cups water ( or a ¼ –½ cup less for a thicker soup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons maple
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch cayenne, optional
- Garnish- pumpkin seeds, sumac, warm coconut milk, sautéed diced apple ( sauté in coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Split the butternut in half lengthwise, place open side down, on a greased or parchment lined, rimmed sheet-pan. Roast 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, through the skin at the top, narrow end.
- While the butternut is roasting, chop the onion, apple, garlic and ginger.
- Heat coconut oil in a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add onion and apple and cook 5 minutes, stirring, then add garlic and ginger, and cook 4-5 more minutes, turning heat down to med low. It will smell divine. Turn heat off.
- When butternut is tender, flip them over, let them cool down, enough to handle, then scoop out seeds. Scoop out flesh and place in a bowl, you should have 3 ½ to 4 cups.
- Add the apple onion mixture to the same bowl.
- Then, blend with the stock and water, in batches, until very smooth, using a blender. ( Hold lid down tight with a kitchen towel) If you like a thicker soup, add less water, thiner soup, more water.
- Add the blended soup back into the same pot and warm over low heat. Add salt, maple, apple cider vinegar. Taste.
- To serve, divide among bowls, spoon heated coconut milk over top ( or stir some into the pot) sprinkle with pumpkin seeds & sumac ( optional) and saluted apples.
- Calories: 345
Keywords: Butternut soup, butternut apple soup, butternut soup recipes, vegan butternut soup, healthy butternut soup