- 1 small butternut (2.5 pounds -or 4 cups of cooked butternut)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, or olive oil
- 2 apples- gala, honey crisp – diced ( unpeeled)
- 2 large shallots ( or 1/2 an onion)- diced
- 5 fat garlic cloves – rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger – rough chopped
- 2 cups veggie stock or chicken stock
- 1 1/2– 2 cups water ( or a ¼ –½ cup less for a thicker soup)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch cayenne, optional
- 1/2–1 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- Garnish- pumpkin seeds, sumac, warm coconut milk, sautéed diced apple ( sauté in coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Split the butternut in half lengthwise, place open side down, on a greased or parchment-lined, rimmed sheet pan. Roast 30 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork, through the skin at the top, narrow end.
- While the butternut is roasting, chop the onion, apple, garlic, and ginger.
- Heat coconut oil in a large heavy bottom pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add onion and apple and cook 6-7 minutes, stirring until golden and tender, then add garlic and ginger, and cook 4-5 more minutes, turning the heat down to med-low. It will smell divine. Turn heat off.
- When the butternut is tender, flip them over, let them cool down, enough to handle, then scoop out seeds. Scoop out flesh and place in a bowl, you should have 3 ½ to 4 cups.
- Add the apple onion mixture to the same bowl.
- Then, blend in batches with the stock and water, until very smooth, using a blender. (If using hot ingredients, be sure to Hold the lid down tight with a kitchen towel– to prevent a blender explosion!) If you prefer a thicker soup, add less water, thinner soup, more water.
- Add the blended soup back into the same pot and warm over low heat. Add salt, maple, apple cider vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in coconut milk to taste.
- To serve, divide among bowls, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds & sumac ( optional).
To drizzle coconut milk over the top, I find it’s easier to heat it up a bit first then spoon it over top in a circular motion.
Keywords: butternut squash soup, vegan butternut squash soup, vegan butternut soup, butternut squash soup vegan, Vegan Butternut soup, butternut apple soup, butternut soup recipes, vegan butternut soup, healthy butternut soup