Savory Cheddar Scones with caramelized onions, made with optional rye flour. Very easy and delicious with soups and stews!
Smokey, earthy, buttery and flaky, these Savory Cheddar Scones with caramelized onions, rye flour, caraway seeds are the perfect accompaniment to soups and stews– that is, if you can stop yourself from eating them, before the soup is made. That was my problem.
Today I’ve used rye flour, but feel free to use whole wheat. Caramelize the onions in a skillet, then add to the dough. They add such amazing depth and sweetness!
The dough comes together quickly and easily! Just cut and bake!
When the cheddar scones come out they are flakey, golden and delicious!
Rye flour gives them a smoky earthiness that I love during the colder months.
Savory Scones with Cheddar and Caramelized Onions
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 2 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Baked, Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: English
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds ( optional, but delicious!)
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved through the root and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1 Cup rye flour ( or use whole wheat)
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream plus more for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 C grated smoked cheddar ( or regular cheddar)
- Flaky sea salt, like fleur de sel or Maldon, for sprinkling (optional).
- Put the butter in the freezer until solid, at least 30-45 minutes.
- In a large, dry skillet over medium heat, toast the caraway seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set Aside. Sauce the onions in skillet on medium-high heat with the oil and stir for two minutes. Turn heat down to med low, and continue cooking until tender and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of the fine sea salt, cool.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, ½ teaspoon of the fine salt and the caraway seeds. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg and honey.
- Remove the butter from the freezer. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate ⅓ of the butter.
- Gently toss it into the flour mixture. Repeat with the remaining butter, adding about ⅓ at a time.
- Stir the wet mixture into the flour-butter mixture. Stir in the onions and grated cheddar. Stir dough until it just comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into an inch-thick round. Cut into 8-10 wedges. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet, allowing 1 inch between each scone. Brush the tops of the scones with a little sour cream and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake scones until the undersides are golden brown but the tops are just golden, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. They are best served warm.
- Calories: 289
Keywords: scones, cheddar scones, rye scones, savory scones, cheddar biscuits, best scone recipes, savory scone recipes, best scones, onion scones,