- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds ( optional, but delicious!)
- 1 large red onion, peeled, halved through the root and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- 1 Cup rye flour ( or use whole wheat)
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup sour cream plus more for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 C grated smoked cheddar ( or regular cheddar)
- Flaky sea salt, like fleur de sel or Maldon, for sprinkling (optional).
- Put the butter in the freezer until solid, at least 30-45 minutes.
- In a large, dry skillet over medium heat, toast the caraway seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set Aside. Sauce the onions in skillet on medium-high heat with the oil and stir for two minutes. Turn heat down to med low, and continue cooking until tender and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of the fine sea salt, cool.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, ½ teaspoon of the fine salt and the caraway seeds. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg and honey.
- Remove the butter from the freezer. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate ⅓ of the butter.
- Gently toss it into the flour mixture. Repeat with the remaining butter, adding about ⅓ at a time.
- Stir the wet mixture into the flour-butter mixture. Stir in the onions and grated cheddar. Stir dough until it just comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into an inch-thick round. Cut into 8-10 wedges. Transfer dough to the prepared baking sheet, allowing 1 inch between each scone. Brush the tops of the scones with a little sour cream and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake scones until the undersides are golden brown but the tops are just golden, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. They are best served warm.
- Calories: 289
Keywords: scones, cheddar scones, rye scones, savory scones, cheddar biscuits, best scone recipes, savory scone recipes, best scones, onion scones,