This delicious Thanksgiving Fall Salad with Roasted Pumpkin, Kale, Apples and Wild Rice, is topped with Maple glazed Pecans, Dried Cranberries, and a scrumptious, healthy, Allspice Vinaigrette. Vegan!
Here’s a Thanksgiving Fall Salad that would be a beautiful addition to your holiday table! Roasted Pumpkin, wild rice, apples and kale, tossed in the most delicious vegan dressing – Allspice Vinaigrette and topped with maple glazed pecans. Hearty and filling, this could also work as a vegan main dish. For extra richness feel free to add goat cheese, or try farmer’s cheese. A very beautiful autumnal salad!
On the home front: For the past week, we’ve been out of power along with thousands of others here in Spokane, after a huge wind storm blew down hundreds of old trees, taking the power lines down with them. With frigid temperatures at night, it has been challenging trying to keep our house warm so the pipes and pets don’t freeze. For the first day or two it felt like camping – fun in way, exciting…playing games by candle light, having fires, listening to the battery-powered radio and reading with a head lamp.
But as the days wore on, and I awoke this morning with an aching head and scratchy throat, with Thanksgiving only two days away and a houseful of guests planning to come over, I felt my spirits slowly sink. I knew I had to get back to the place of gratitude before I brought everyone down around me.
At least we didn’t have a tree crash into our living room, as my husband kept reminding me, like several of our neighbors. So that is good. And as my very practical friend Jill reminded me, at least I’m not a Syrian refuge. There is that to put things in perspective.
But I don’t want to feel gratitude because we fared better, compared to others, or because it could be worse. I don’t want to feel it because I would feel guilty if I didn’t, or because my rational brain tells me I should.
I want to feel it, because I feel it.
So I sit here. I stir the fire. I let my brain calm and let my heart open…and wait. And wait. And wait…
And then…eventually it comes, just a glimpse. This feeling that no matter how difficult our lives can be at times, I’m honored, grateful, to be alive and experience all of it. Even the hard stuff. I want to hang on to this feeling forever…but it is fleeting.
There seems to be a deeper level of gratefulness that we can tap into. One that is constant and unconditional regardless of external circumstances.
I haven’t evolved far enough as a human to be able to remain tethered to this place, but I can sense its presence under the surface and dip into every now and again, and it feels transformative. I wonder how my life would change if I could feel it daily.
I wonder how this world would change if we could all feel it.
Whereever Thanksgiving finds you this year, may we find gratitude, even amidst the chaos, if only for a brief and sparkling moment. May it seep into our bones and infuse our day…and out to those around us. Happy Thanksgiving friends. Love and hugs.
Thankgiving Fall Salad with Roasted Pumpkin, Wild rice, Apple and Kale
Thanksgiving Fall Salad with Roasted Pumpkin, Apple, Kale and Wild Rice, topped with Maple Pecans, Dried Cranberries, a delicious, healthy, Allspice Vinaigrette. Vegan Adaptable! Perfect as a Thanksgiving Salad!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Northwest
- 1 small sugar pumpkin cut into ¾ inch wedges. (or use delicata)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 cups cooked wild rice (or any cooked grain, or lentils)
- 2-3 ounces baby kale (or arugula)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup maple glazed pecans (see note)
- 1 apple, sliced into thin wedges (or persimmon)
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- Allspice Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds. Cut into ¾ inch wedges ( eave skin on) and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and place on a parchment-lined backing sheet and roast in the oven until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Note: You can make maple glazed pecans at the same time. Toss any amount of pecans in REAL (it must be real) maple syrup, so they are nicely coated. Place on a greased baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven, 15- 20 minutes, giving a stir halfway through. Let roast until they just darken slightly. Remove from oven, and using a metal spatula, loosen, let cool 5-10 minutes, loosen and scrape up again. Let cool completely. Store in an air tight container.
- In a large bowl, add rice, kale, apple, scallions, pecans, and dried cranberries and give a stir.
- Add vinaigrette ingredients and toss.
- Spread out on a platter and tuck warm roasted pumpkin wedges over top.
- Add goat cheese or farmers cheese if you like (feta may be too salty)
- Calories: 226
Keywords: Fall salad, fall salad recipe, fall salads, fall salad recipes, wild rice salad, thanksgiving salad, harvest salad, pumpkin salad, thanksgiving salad recipes, thanksgiving salads