This classic, easy recipe for Tomato Soup is BEST made with fresh tomatoes, but canned work too in a pinch! It’s simple and delicious and can be made in under 30 minutes. Cozy, comforting and perfect for bridging the seasons between summer and fall. Vegan-adaptable.
The soul has been given its own ears to hear things the mind does not understand. ~ Rumi
For the last month, this classic Tomato Soup has become a weekly occurrence at our home. I’ve been making jars of it to give away to busy friends and serving it up as dinner with a few slices of homemade sourdough (or sourdough croutons) and a swirl of Arugula Almond Pesto. Even though it’s just soup, it feels like a meal.
What I love about this easy recipe is that it can be made with fresh tomatoes like we are using right now, or with canned Roma tomatoes in winter when fresh tomatoes are long gone. It can also easily be made vegan.
Our neighbors have a big basil patch which they’ve generously shared, so I wander over there and a handful of basil to make the arugula pesto to go with this. But the soup doesn’t need the arugula pest0 – it’s just as good on its own.
Tomato Soup Recipe Video
- olive oil, butter or ghee
- carrot (or bell pepper)
- tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- cream or cashews
How to make Tomato Soup from Scratch
Saute onion and carrots in a heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, stir occasionally. Add a red bell pepper if you like!
Simmer with the broth, covered, until the tomatoes break down, about 10-15 minutes.
Add fresh basil and blend. Using an immersion blender makes this especially quick and easy.
Then add heavy cream or half and half. (Or, for a vegan option, add raw cashews to the simmering tomatoes to soften before blending.)
Keep it simple and serve with crusty bread, or add any or all of these toppings.
- Add chopped tomatoes for more texture.
- Add a few basil ribbons
- Arugula almond pesto or Basil Pesto
- Sourdough croutons!
- parmesan cheese, pecorino or Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle!
What tomatoes should I use?
- Use fresh tomatoes if possible, but canned will work too. An easy pantry meal!
- If using canned, use San Marzano, if you can find them.
- Using fresh tomatoes when they are in season- elevates, and makes the BEST tomato soup.
How do you thicken homemade tomato soup?
- The easiest tastiest way to thicken tomato soup is to add carrots to the soup. Not only will they thicken the soup, but they will also add a lovely sweetness.
What our readers are saying:
Veronica: This is the best tomato soup I’ve ever had. Love it! I’ll keep the recipe for sure. Thank You
Melanie: Made this for dinner. Excellent. I used carrots, celery and red bell pepper in it. I doubled the recipe. I’ll freeze some and use some in a creamy Parmesan pasta sauce.
Danielle: Absolutely the best tomato soup!
Other recipes you might like:
- Coconut Ginger Tomato Soup
- Arugula Almond Pesto
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Halloumi Croutons
- Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Glowing Carrot Soup
- Simple Celery Soup
- Our 25 Most Popular Vegetarian Soups!
Enjoy this Easy Tomato Soup. Make it for a friend, or do something kind with it this week.
Homemade Tomato Soup made with fresh or canned tomatoes, made in under 30 minutes. Creamy, easy and Vegan-adaptable (see notes)!
- 4 tablespoons ghee, butter or olive oil (the ghee is good!)
- 1 extra-large onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced (or one red bell pepper) or use both-the best!!)
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes ( or one, 28-ounce can of San Marzano Tomatoes)
- 1 cup water plus 1-2 bouillon cubes (chicken or veggie)
- 2 tablespoons honey or sugar (or sugar alternative)
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10–15 basil leaves
- pinch cayenne (optional, but good)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half (or sub-cashews-see notes)
- 1–2 tablespoon sour cream- optional!
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and saute until softened about 3-4 minutes. Add the carrots, lower heat to medium, saute 3-4 minutes more until onions are golden and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, honey or sugar, salt and pepper. (If making this vegan, add cashews now-see notes.) Stir, increase heat and bring to a simmer, cover, then lower heat to low, so it’s gently simmering. Simmer 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup adding the basil leaves. Or you can blend in a blender.
- Return it to the pot. Stir in the cream.
- Taste and adjust salt and sugar. Add a little pinch of cayenne.
- Whisk in the sour cream if you like.
- Serve in bowls with basil ribbons, arugula almond pesto, croutons, pecorino, or fresh little tomatoes (halved).
If making this vegan, add 1/3-1/2 cup raw cashews to simmering tomatoes to soften before blending. You will need to blend the soup a little longer.
To use broth or stock instead of bouillon cubes- feel free, but you will need to increase the salt to taste.
Feel free to add: garlic or celery when you add the carrots.
STORE: Soup will last 4 days in the fridge or freeze for winter in mason jars with 1-inch headroom (for expansion).
Keywords: tomato soup, tomato soup recipe, easy tomato soup, vegan tomato soup, creamy tomato soup, best tomato soup, tomato basil soup