This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Simple clean ingredients full of comforting flavors, this Cabbage Soup is healthy, satisfying and easy to make. Perfect for busy weekdays and leftovers are delicious! Vegan. Looking for more? Check out our 26+ Amazing Cabbage Recipes!
We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.joseph campbell
This Simple Cabbage Soup hits the spot when you are in the mood for a healthy soup that is quick to throw together. The cabbage gets melty tender and sweetens up as it simmers in the flavorful broth. The ingredients are common and create comfort in a bowl.
The humble cabbage is often underappreciated and taken for granted. This soup is here to celebrate cabbage and bring it front and center! Along with being inexpensive, versatile, and having a long shelf life, cabbage is highly nutritious with a very low glycemic index, and a great source of potassium and fiber, which are key nutrients for heart health.
Serve it up just like it is or enhance it with protein, grains, and whatever extra veggies you may have on hand.
Do you love broth based soups? For more inspiration take a look at our 20 Best Broth-Based Soup Recipes on the blog.
Table of Contents
- Ingredients In Cabbage Soup
- Ingredient Notes
- What To Serve With Cabbage Soup
- Our Favorite Homemade Cornbread
- Rustic Seed Crackers
- Sourdough Biscuits
- Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls
- Cheddar Scones with Caramelized Onions
- Savory Leek Bread
- More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
- 25+ Amazing Cabbage Recipes
- Cabbage Stir Fry
- Cabbage Steaks
- Simple Cabbage Soup
Ingredients In Cabbage Soup
- Veggies: Cabbage, Carrots, Mushrooms, Onion & Garlic, switch these up to what you have on hand.
- Spices: Smoked paprika-creates a full flavor base along with thyme and bay leaf
- Vegetable broth– try our favorite recipe!
- Sherry Vinegar (Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider is fine too).
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Cabbage Soup
STEP ONE– Gather and chop all your ingredients. Cut cabbage in one inch chunks.
STEP TWO– Sauté onions with olive oil in a heavy soup pot for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Turn heat to medium and add in mushrooms sauté another 5 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed or put a lid on for a minute this will let the mushrooms sweat and soften without adding more oil.
STEP THREE– Add garlic, cabbage, carrots, smoked paprika, thyme, dijon, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Mix until tomato paste is fully distributed.
STEP FOUR– Add vegetable broth and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat. Add parsley and sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar).
Ways To Enhance
Variation suggestions if you want to make the soup more hearty
What To Serve With Cabbage Soup
Cabbage is loaded with nutrients, folate, and fiber. Cabbage may help reduce inflammation, help digestion, and lower cholesterol.
Cabbage contains sulforaphane which helps the body fight against toxins. Cabbage also contains glutathione, an antioxidant that may help with the detoxifying function of the liver.
Yes, it freezes great and cabbage will be even more tender when reheated.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Hope you enjoy this soup. Let us know your favorite version!
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
Simple clean ingredients full of comforting flavors, this Cabbage Soup is healthy, satisfying and easy to make. Perfect for busy weekdays and leftovers are delicious! Vegan.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 cups (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound, 4-5 cups cabbage, cut in large chunks about 1 inch
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth, flavorful!
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar- a little sharper so start with 1 teaspoon or try champagne vinegar)
- Sauté onions with olive oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add in mushrooms sauté another 5 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed or put a lid on for a minute this will let the mushrooms sweat and soften without adding more oil.
- Add garlic, cabbage, carrots, smoked paprika, thyme, bay leaf, dijon, tomato paste, salt, pepper. Mix until tomato paste is fully distributed.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Add parsley and sherry vinegar (champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar).
Makes 7 cups
- Serving Size: 1 3/4 cup
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 785.3 mg
- Fat: 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.2 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 9.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: cabbage soup, best cabbage soup, easy cabbage soup, vegetarian cabbage soup, vegan cabbage soup, cabbage soup for weightless, easy cabbage soup, vegetable cabbage soup, best cabbage soup recipe