A quick and easy recipe for flaky Sourdough Biscuits with Scallions made with leftover sourdough starter (or discard) that can be made in just 45 minutes! Vegan adaptable!
If there is something”past” that needs to be seen or healed back into wholeness, it will arise in present experience. We do not have to dig up pebbles from a streambed. ~ Dorothy Hunt
These flaky buttery Sourdough Biscuits are studded with scallions and have the best texture and flavor. If I’m being truthful they are pretty dangerous to have around, because it’s impossible not to devour them once they are made. So be warned!
This is for those of you who are ready to do something with your sourdough starter in addition to making the Sourdough Bread-which I keep hearing is working out for you! So happy and excited for you! A true feat! Hooray!
Add scallions if you like, or chives are nice too.
Mix 3/4 cup starter with 1/2 cup sour cream. You can also use yogurt, vegan yogurt, vegan sour cream, or buttermilk. The sour cream really gives a lovely flavor here with the scallions- just sayin’. 🙂
Then combine into a shaggy ball.
Place onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with flour.
Knead twice- for like 2 seconds. Pat flat into a 3/4 inch rectangle. Then fold up into thirds like an envelope. Pat it down and repeat 2 times. The third time, pat the folded “envelope” into a rectangle 5 by 9 inches and about 1 1/2 inches thick.
Cut into 6 pieces.
Place onto a parchement lined sheet pan and bake until golden, about 20 -25 minutes.
Internal temp should reach 205F.
My favorite biscuit ever!!!!
Flakey, flavorful and so easy.
Enjoy! Such a great way to use up your sourdough starter or discard!
An easy recipe forSourdough Biscuits with scallions using leftover sourdough starter (or discard).These buttery biscuits can be made in 45 minutes!
- 1 1/2 cup (180g) All-Purpose Flour (or bread flour) , fluffed, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon salt (use a little less if using salted butter)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted, cold butter (or use vegan butter), cut into 1/4-inch slices. (113.5 grams)
- 1/4–1/2 cup chopped scallions or chives (optional, of course)
- 3/4 cup (170g) sourdough starter, unfed or discard
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or sub vegan sourcream, buttermilk or yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder.
- Work in the cut cold butter into the flour using your fingers until it is unevenly crumbly, with biggest crumbs the size of peas. Mix in the scallions if using.
- Place 3/4 cup starter and 1/2 cup sour cream in a bowl and mix with a fork ( it doesn’t have to be perfectly mixed together).
- Pour this into the flour mixture and using a fork, mix until dough comes together into a very shaggy ball.
- Place the ball on a well-floured surface, sprinkle with flour and knead gently just to incorporate ( for 2 seconds- don’t over knead!) Pat into 6 x 10 inch rectangle. Fold up the sides into thirds like a tri-fold envelop and pat again into a 6 x10 inch rectangle. Fold up the sides into thirds again. Re-flour your work surface, adding more if needed. Pat into a 8 x 5 inch rectangle about 1 1/2 inches tall. Cut into 6 equal pieces.
- Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check at 15-20 minutes, rotating pan if necessary. Keep baking until biscuits are beautifully golden and internal temp reaches 205F.
Keywords: sourdough biscuits, sourdough recipes, sourdough discard recipes