How to make Sourdough Buns with leftover over sourdough starter or discard that are light and airy (like a brioche bun) in 2 1/2 hours from start to finish, with only 20 minutes of hands-on time.
Grilling season has officially begun and many of you have been asking for a good Burger Bun recipe. Here is one we’ve been using with our sourdough discard. This brioche-style Sourdough Bun is soft, light and airy and turns out delicious every time!
It starts with 1/2 cup of your unfed sourdough starter or discard.
Add dry mixture to wet, to form a ball and kneed for 5-6 minutes with a wet hand.
The dough will be sticky – resist the temptation to add more flour or you will end up with heavy dense buns.
Oil the dough in the bowl, cover, place in a warm spot ( 70-80 F) and let double, about 1 hour.
Let rise again, 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F
Brush with an Egg Wash, sprinkle with salt and seeds and bake 20-22 minutes, on the middle rack until perfectly golden!
They will come out perfectly puffed, golden, light and airy!
Make them ahead a store in a ziplock bag, or freeze!
Need some Burger Inspiration? Here are my favorites:
- Smoky Chipotle Black bean Burgers
- Miso Portobello Burgers!
- Grilled Lamb Burgers with Harissa Mayo!
- Thai Turkey Burgers
- Falafel Burgers with Tzatziki
- Sprouted Lentil Burgers!
Give the Sourdough Buns a try this weekend and let me know what you think!
How to make Sourdough Buns with sourdough starter (or sourdough discard) that are light and airy (like a brioche bun) in about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish, with only 20 minutes of hands-on time.
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter or discard (unfed)
- 1/2 cup nut milk (slightly warm 100F) or regular milk or 1/2 & half
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast (rapid yeast -use fast-acting yeast here, or see notes!)
- 2 cups flour (240 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Eggwash: 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- optional seeds: sesame seeds, “everything spice”, etc…
- Mix warm milk, unfed sourdough starter, oil, and egg in a large bowl (or stand mixer).
- Mix in salt, sugar, instant yeast and flour.
- Combine with fork to form a ball and kneed for 5-6 minutes with a wet hand, (or dough hook).The dough will be sticky – resist the temptation to add more flour (which will result in a heavy bun). (Alternatively,if mixing by hand, you could do the “stretch and fold ” technique (see 1st video) from the sourdough bread recipe. Do 2-3 sets, 15 minutes apart )
- Oil the dough in the bowl, cover, place in a warm spot (70-80 F) and let double, 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- On a floured surface, gently divide into 6 pieces, form into balls and place on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Let rise again, 30-45 minutes, while you preheat oven to 375F
- Brush with an Egg Wash, sprinkle with salt and seeds, and bake 20-22 minutes, on the middle rack until perfectly puffed and golden!
If using regular active dry yeast, mix the yeast with warmed nut milk first until dissolved, let stand 10 minutes before adding starter, oil and egg. NOTE: Rise time will double.
If making ahead store in a zip lock bag, for freeze for later.
Keywords: sourdough buns, sourdough brioche buns, sourdough discard recipes