This scrumptious Turkey Burger Recipe bursts with Thai flavors and is topped with fresh and crunchy Asian Slaw, Cucumber Ribbons & Spicy Sriracha Aioli. Light, healthy, Delicious! Easy to make.
Earlier this spring, I hosted a birthday gathering at my house for a couple of friends. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before – I’ve been meeting with a group of women friends every Thursday night for the past 20 years. It has been a godsend.
The group shifts, a few have come and gone through the years, and not everyone is present every single Thursday night, but for the most part, we gather as best we can, to eat, drink and commune. Together we ride the waves of our lives, supported, held up, loved. It is truly one of the best things in my life, and birthdays are extra special. We make a big deal of them, celebrating and honoring each other, and taking the pressure off our spouses to do this for us.
So it was at one of these birthday celebrations, that these Thai Turkey Burgers came to be. Infused with fresh lemongrass, ginger, lime zest, shallots and basil, they are full of flavor. They are topped with an Asian Slaw and fresh cucumber ribbons, and the buns are slathered with a spicy aioli. They can be grilled or pan-seared, and are perfect for weekend barbecues, a much lighter alternative to beef.
Tis’ the season to fire up the BBQ!
The cucumber ribbons and Crunchy Asian slaw add refreshing texture and flavor.
For an even lighter option, serve in butter lettuce wraps and go totally bread free. Or create Burger Bowls!
Add pickled onions, spicy greens, avocado, sprouts….or even pickled radishes would be good!
I hope you enjoy these Thai Turkey Burgers as much as we have!
Thai Turkey Burgers with Crunchy Asian Slaw
Thai Turkey Burgers infused with lemongrass, ginger and basil, served with a Crunchy Asian Slaw and Spicy Aioli. Serve this on a tasty bun, in a lettuce wrap or over grains and greens for healthy bowl.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Grilled
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons shallot, very finely diced ( or red onion)
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh grated, or chopped ginger
- 2 garlic cloves- finely minced ( or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons chopped Thai basil (or reg basil, cilantro, or mint)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ – 1 jalapeño, seeded, finely chopped ( or substitute 1 Tablespoon sriracha sauce, or red chili sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or sub soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper– optional
Crunchy Asian Slaw:
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice ( or rice wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high. ( see notes to pan-sear)
- Combine all the burger ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well using hands. With wet hands, shape into 3 burgers, 1-inch thick. Place on a plate in the fridge.
- Toss the slaw ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Mix the spicy aioli ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Grill patties on a well-greased, pre-heated grill 4-5 minutes each side until golden and cooked through.
- Toast or grill the buns.
- Spread aioli on the bottom bun, top with the patty, then the slaw, cucumber ribbons (optional) , more aioli, then the top bun. Enjoy!!
- To make cucumber ribbons, use a veggie peeler to make long thin slices. No need to peel English or Turkish cucumbers, but do peel those with thick waxy skins.
- The burger patties can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to grill.
- To Pan-Sear: heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet, over medium heat, pan sear turkey burgers until golden and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes on each side. Resist the urge to fiddle with them- let them develop a good crust before flipping. 🙂
Keywords: turkey burgers, turkey burger recipes, thai burgers, thai burger recipe, turkey burgers thai