Healthy delicious BURGER BOWLS- these bun-less bowls loaded up w/ seasonal veggies & greens, and can be made with veggie burgers, or grass-fed beef, lamb, chicken, bison or turkey! Perfect for low-carb or keto diets. Paleo, Gluten-free, and vegan-adaptable!
Want a healthier way to serve up a burger? How about creating a Burger Bowl! It’s a fun, fresh way to have all the flavors of a burger- be it grass-fed beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, veggie or vegan – and instead of serving it on a bun, load it up with a mound of healthy greens and veggies and then personalize it to your particular liking.
Not only is this really simple to make, but it’s also healthy and delicious. The combinations are truly endless, making it an adaptable meal that comes in particularly handy for mixed (meat-eating/ vegan) households.
Burger Bowl Variations:
There are so many options here! For example, my husband Brian loves his Burger Bowl with a turkey burger, bison burger or a lamb burger, topped with grilled onions and healthy veggies. He also really loves a “Caesar” Burger, basically, a Burger in a Bowl, loaded up with veggies, dressed with creamy caesar dressing.
I prefer a lighter Burger Bowl, so I’ll just make a simple balsamic vinaigrette to go with a veggie burger. Sometimes I’ll add crumbled goat cheese. You can give it any spin you like, or just have a selection of veggies ( grilled and fresh) and dressings for family members or guests to assemble the bowls themselves — very fun and adaptable! And a great way to use up stray veggies in the fridge and allow you to pull something together with what you have on hand. I love it!
Remember the vegan sprouted Lentil Burgers from last week? I made them, grilled them and wrapped the leftovers up and put them in the freezer. For the bowl above, I warmed one up in the toaster oven today and assembled the bowl adding some leftover pickled beets and shallots, turmeric sauerkraut, greens and avocado. A simple drizzle of olive oil and balsamic, and it was done. And guess what? So tasty!!! These Black bean burgers would work well here too!
What to add to Burger Bowls:
- If grilling, add grilled onions, or any other grill-able veggie like zucchini, eggplant, peppers, or tomatoes.
- Add a mound of greens to the base of the bowl- arugula, spinach, baby kale, mesclun or any salad green.
- Then add fresh crunchy veggie: grated carrots or beets, sprouts, cucumber, radish or avocado.
- Fresh herbs are a nice touch.
- Spoon or drizzle your favorite dressing over top.
- Add crumbled cheese if you like, or leave it off for a clean/lean version.
Here above is a goat cheese-stuffed lamb burger, grilled to perfection.
Below is a vegan Sprouted Lentil Burger.
You get the idea…
So get your creative juices flowing and build your own perfect Burger Bowl!
Have fun with it and tell me about your creations below or show me your creations on instagram, hashtag #feastingathome. I always love seeing what you are up to in your kitchens and will repost my favorite photos!
Try some healthy delicious Burger Bowls this weekend – a fun, tasty and healthy way to serve up our favorite summertime meal!
A few burger recipes you may like:
- Amazing Black Bean Burgers (in under 30 mins!)
- Chimichurri Poblano Turkey Burger!
- Bison Burger
- Grilled Lamb Burger with Harissa Aioli
- Chickpea Quinoa Veggie Burgers
- Spicy Miso Portobello Mushroom Burger (Vegan)
- Thai Turkey Burger Recipe w/ Asian Slaw
Healthy BURGER BOWLS- loaded up w/ seasonal veggies & greens, these can be made with veggie burgers or grass-fed beef, lamb, chicken, or turkey! Perfect for low-carb or keto diets. Paleo, Gluten-free, and vegan adaptable!
- 2 burger patties ( lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, veggie or vegan)
- grill-able veggies- 1 onion, zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, tomato or asparagus
- 2 large handfuls fresh greens- arugula, spinach, baby kale, mesclun, or other salad greens
- fresh veggies- grated carrot, grated beet, cucumber, radish, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, sprouts, avocado, or whatever else you can think of.
- optional additions- seeds, nuts, fermented things like sauerkraut or kimchi, pickled onions or shallots
- Dressing- caesar, gorganzola, balsamic, tahini, green goddess, or simply lemon and olive oil.
Pre-heat grill to medium high. ( you can also pan-sear)
Prep burgers and veggies.
Grill burgers and any grill-able veggies, turning heat down after marking.
Assemble bowls with greens, veggies, grilled veggies, burger and spoon dressing over top adding any optional additions that you like.
- Serving Size: Based on a 5 ounce Turkey Burger Patty and Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Saturated Fat:
- Trans Fat: