Packed with nutritious ingredients, this Chickpea Quinoa Veggie Burger is full of delicious flavor and satisfying texture. Great with a variety of toppings. Vegetarian and Gluten-free, Vegan-adaptable!
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu
I crave a good veggie burger! This is one is close to my dream burger. Full of homey savory goodness, the texture is not too mushy and not too firm. Just right!
I grew up eating a lot of veggie burgers, some that came frozen or a mix in a can. They were tasty, but the ingredient list was so loooonnngggg and some words unpronounceable.
These Chickpea Quinoa Veggie Burgers are packed with fresh, wholesome ingredients. Roasted mushrooms, carrots, and chickpeas give the veggie burger a savory flavor. Red quinoa has a chewy hearty texture that works great to give the burgers substance. Pecans add richness and depth. The veggie burgers are lightly baked and then pan-seared for a delicious crusty crunch. The flavors totally lend to a variety of toppings and sides. Our hands-down favorite accompaniment are these pickled onions! Such a perfect compliment.
Filled with so many nutritious ingredients!
Chickpea Quinoa Burger Ingredients:
- red quinoa
- mushrooms, carrots, onion and garlic
- fresh sage, oregano
- tomato paste, stoneground mustard, Worcestershire
- egg (or sub flax egg)
- salt and pepper
These Chickpea Quinoa Burgers may be just a teensy bit fussy, but I promise you they are worth it.
Steps to create delicious Chickpea Quinoa Burgers
- Cook the quinoa.
- Roast vegetables.
- Process ingredients in food processor.
- Form patties.
- Pan-sear in a skillet to serve.
Step 1: Cook the Quinoa
- In a saucepan add quinoa, garlic, sage, oregano and Braggs Liquid Aminos (soy sauce works too).
- Simmer quinoa covered for 15 minutes.
- Take off heat, but don’t lift the lid! It will continue to steam while you get the rest of the ingredients together.
Step 2: Roast the Vegetables and the Chickpeas
- Roast the onion, mushrooms, carrots and chickpeas for 20 minutes in the oven. Roasting gives flavor and dissipates the water content giving more texture to the patty.
Step 3: Process the Ingredients:
- Grind pecans in food processor to a coarse meal dump into a separate large bowl. No need to clean the processor, add the cooled roasted vegetables, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire, egg, salt and pepper.
Pulse together enough to adhere mixture leaving small chunks of veggies is good! You want some texture.
Step 4: Mix it all together and form burgers
- Mix ground pecans with veggie mixture and quinoa. Form into 6 patties abound 4.5 ounces each.
Step 5: Bake!
- Bake 20 minutes at 400F. Baking firms up the burgers. This can all be done ahead of time, up to two days before serving.
Step 6: Pan-sear to make it crispy!
Heat the veggie burger on a pan with a little oil until golden and crisp on the outside. About 3-4 minutes on each side, then build your perfect burger!
Serve veggie burgers with:
- Quick Sourdough Buns
- Pickled Red Onions
- Chipotle Mayo
- Avocado, tomato or lettuce
- Fermented Pickles!
You may also like:
- Black Bean Burgers (in under 30 mins!)
- Spicy Miso Portobello Mushroom Burger (Vegan)
- Sprouted Lentil Burgers
- Sagey Leek and White Bean Patties
- Our 20 Best Chickpea Recipes!
- Falafel Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce!
- How to Caramelize Onions
Packed with nutritious ingredients, this Chickpea Quinoa Veggie Burger is full of savory delicious flavor and satisfying texture. Great with a variety of toppings.
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed (or regular quinoa)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 oz canned chickpeas (1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup pecans (sub walnuts, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons stoneground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire (I like the vegan Wizard brand)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan add quinoa, Braggs, sage, oregano, garlic cloves and water. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, set aside without lifting the lid!
- While quinoa is cooking, place drained chickpeas, mushrooms, carrots and onion on a baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Slide into the preheated oven, and roast for 20 minutes. Let cool at least 5 minutes.
- In a food processor pulse pecans to a coarse meal, scoop out and set aside.
- Without cleaning out the processor add roasted chickpeas, veggies, tomato paste, dijon, Worcestershire, egg, salt and pepper. Pulse just enough to adhere mixture leaving small chunks of veggies is good. This just takes a handful of pulses, you want some texture.
- Mix together ground pecans with veggie chickpea mixture and quinoa.
- Form into 6 patties abound 4.5 ounces each.
- Bake on a parchment-lined sheet pan, in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Up to this step can all be done up to two days ahead refrigerating the baked burgers in a sealed container.
- To serve pan sear with oil until deep golden crisp on the outside and warm through. Enjoy with your favorite condiments.
Meal Prep: Make these ahead (bake ahead) for meal prep and store in the fridge or freezer to use throughout the week.
Vegan Adaption: Substitute a flax egg for the egg. ( 1 Tablespoon ground flax meal mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water)
For optimal “holding together power”, let the burgers rest about a half hour to set up after baking before pan frying. For optimal texture, make them a day ahead and refrigerate, frying cold directly out of the fridge seems to help them bind together more.
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 253
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 824.8 mg
- Fat: 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.1 g
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 9.3 g
- Cholesterol: 31 mg
Keywords: veggie burger, chickpea burger, chickpea quinoa burger, quinoa burger, the best veggie burger