Garbanzo beans, or chickpeas, are not only nutritious, but they are incredibly tasty! Take a peek at these healthy, easy Chickpea Recipes. If you love garbanzo beans as much as we do, you are in for a treat!
These Chickpea Recipes are healthy, flavorful and bursting with global flavors. Whether you are looking for chickpea dinner recipes, chickpea soups, chickpea salads, or wraps or sandwiches, we have you covered!
Our Best Chickpea Recipes!
Delicious, Healthy Eggplant Chickpea Tagine– seasoned with Moroccan spices and served over couscous. A simple plant-based dinner recipe, full of amazing flavor.
Frankies! India’s flavorful street food also known as the Bombay Burrito. This vegan version is bursting with flavorful curry mashed potatoes, roasted Indian cauliflower and chickpeas, fresh spinach, mint chutney, and pickled onions.|
Chana Masala (Indian Chickpea Curry)
An authentic recipe for Chana Masala that can be made in an Instant pot or on the stovetop. A quick and easy Vegetarian dinner recipe that is full of amazing Indian flavor! Serve this with Naan or Basmati Rice.
Packed with nutritious ingredients, this Chickpea Quinoa Veggie Burger is full of savory delicious flavor and satisfying texture. Great with a variety of toppings. Vegetarian and Gluten-free, Vegan-adaptable!
Pasta with ChickpeaS, broccolini & preserved lEmon
This simple Pasta with Broccolini, Preserved Lemon and Chickpeas is punchy and bright and comes together quickly and easily – on the table in under 30 minutes! A tasty healthy weeknight dinner!
Mediterranean Chicken with veggies, chickpeas, olives and herbs. A delicious sheet pan dinner that is easy to make and easy to clean up!
Crispy Vegan Quinoa Cakes with Tomato Chickpea Relish- a delicious, healthy flavorful vegan dinner that is gluten-free.
Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa, Eggplant, Chickpeas with Zhoug Yogurt. A flavorful vegetarian dinner recipe featuring the mighty chickpea!
Instant Pot Middle Eastern Lamb Stew with chickpeas and fragrant spices- a simple flavorful wholesome meal. Serve over quinoa, basmati rice or cauliflower “rice”.
Quick and Easy Vegetarian Biryani! A fragrant Indian rice dish with chickpeas and veggies, infused with Indian spices – vegan adaptable and gluten-free.
A delicious recipe for Fesenjan, a Persian Walnut Pomegranate Stew with chicken and chickpeas. Earthy, rich and tangy, this is bursting with Middle Eastern Flavor!
Looking to make vegan scrambled eggs without soy or tofu? Chickpea Scramble to the rescue! Packed with protein and nutrients, it’s perfect for a savory breakfast, a light and wholesome lunch, or a flavorful dinner side dish.
Tandoori Glory Bowl with roasted cauliflower, chickpeas, red onion seasoned with fragrant tandoori spice. Vegan and Gluten-free!
This creamy vegan Chickpea Soup recipe is like sunshine in a bowl. Made with veggies and rice in a golden turmeric coconut milk broth. A cheery soup for cozy winter days. Gluten-free.
Coconut Millet Bowl with Berbere-Spiced Kabocha Squash & Chickpeas, with shallots, and spinach drizzled with coconut lime mint sauce. A vegan, plant-based meal, full of vibrant flavor and spice.
Brighten up your day with this Bliss Bowl! A simple vegan bowl made with beets, quinoa, avocado and chickpeas-that can be made in under 30 minutes! Great for meal-prepping and guaranteed to lift your spirits!
Chickpea Sandwiches and Wraps
This herby Chickpea Salad Sandwich is vegan and full of so much flavor! A tasty lunch that is easy to make.
Falafels with Tahini Sauce. This authentic recipe is made with soaked, uncooked chickpeas and hands-down has the BEST texture and flavor! So easy! Bake them or pan-sear them. Great in wraps, bowls, or salads.
A simple vegan recipe for Curry Chickpea Salad, that can be turned into a wrap with spinach and sprouts. A healthy vegan lunch idea!
Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich – a fast and easy vegan lunch, that is full of flavor!
Middle Eastern Salad Tacos with spiced chickpeas, hummus and a mound of lemony salad, topped with fresh herbs and scallions. Vegan & sooooo Delicious!
Chickpea Soups and Stews
Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup (aka Harira) is hearty, full of protein and loaded with nutrients. Warming fragrant spices make this healthy one-pot meal deeply flavorful! Vegan and Gluten-Free adaptable.
Spring Minestrone Soup with Chickpeas and beautiful spring vegetables. Vegan! GF adaptable! Easy recipe, full of great flavor.
A flavorful brothy “detox” soup with chickpeas, kale, and noodles, made with simple pantry ingredients!
Brothy Chickpea Soup with Lemon, Fennel & Sumac. Squeeze with lemon juice and season with red pepper flakes. A healthy vegan soup, full of flavor!
This homey comforting soup with Chickpeas, Chicken Soup and Kale it topped with Rosemary Croutons.
This Harvest Vegetable Soup recipe is so cozy and nourishing! Packed with seasonal veggies and chickpeas in a luscious roasted tomato base with fresh herbs. Vegan & delicious!
Flavorful Chickpea Salads!
This Moroccan Chickpea,Sweet Potato & Kale Salad is bursting with flavor! Healthy, vegan and gluten-free, it is EASY to make! Serve it warm or chilled. Can be made ahead.
Warm Winter Salad – a hearty “entree” salad made on a sheet pan with roasted cauliflower, carrots, fennel and chickpeas, topped with wilting spinach, drizzled with Everyday Tahini Sauce and sprinkled with fresh dill and Dukkah. Vegan and Gluten-free.
This Lemony Chickpea Quinoa Salad with cucumber, tomato, dill, parsley and Preserved Lemon Dressing is one of my personal favorites. I could eat it every day, seriously! It’s bright and flavorful and packed full of nutrients.
Winter Happiness Salad! Kale & Quinoa Salad with Apples, Chickpeas and Currants! A hearty vegan salad that can be made ahead- perfect for potlucks, gatherings or midweek lunches!
Our Best Chickpea Appetizers
These Chickpea Salad Sliders are easy to make and full of flavor! Make the chickpea salad ahead, then assemble the appetizer right before the gathering.
Chickpea Flour Recipes
Spring Vegan Frittata stocked up with fresh herbs, leeks and asparagus and a flavorful creamy chickpea flour filling.
Yes, chickpeas are healthy! Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber and low in fat, making them an ideal food for weight management. They are a slow-digesting starch that feed the good bacteria in our gut.
Chickpeas have such a mild flavor they can be used in a multitude of ways in the kitchen. Add them to soups and stews, or toss in your favorite salad – a great replacement for chicken. Saute them with Mexican spices and use as taco meat.
Purchase dry chickpeas, soak them for 6-12 hours and pressure cook them. This will help remove lectin which some people are sensitive to. Lectins can cause inflammation in some people.
5 Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a type of legume that offers a variety of health benefits. They are a great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein. Here are five health benefits supported by research.
- Rich in Plant-Based Protein– Chickpeas are an excellent source of protein, which is particularly important for vegetarians and vegans. Protein is essential for muscle repair, bone health, and maintaining lean body mass. Protein intake and exercise for optimal muscle function with aging
- Supports Digestive Health– High fiber content in chickpeas helps to promote a healthy digestive tract and reduce the risk of digestive disorders. Fiber aids in bowel regularity, and prebiotic properties of chickpeas support the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut. Dietary fiber and prebiotics and the gastrointestinal microbiota
- May Aid in Weight Management– The combination of protein and fiber in chickpeas can help with weight management by keeping you feeling full for longer, thus reducing overall calorie intake. The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance
- Helps Control Blood Sugar Levels– Chickpeas have a low glycemic index (GI), which means that they are digested and absorbed slowly, leading to a gradual rise in blood sugar levels. This makes them a good dietary option for managing diabetes and insulin sensitivity. Legume consumption is associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes
- May Reduce the Risk of Chronic Diseases– Chickpeas contain several key nutrients that can help reduce the risk of various chronic diseases. For instance, they have been linked to heart health due to their ability to improve cholesterol levels. Chickpea consumption may reduce total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides
More Healthy Recipe collections!
These 35+ Best Chickpea Recipes are healthy, flavorful, and bursting with global flavors. Garbanzo beans are super nutritious! Whether you are looking for Chickpea dinner recipes, Chickpea soups or stews, Chickpea salads or chickpea salads we have you covered! Here’s our favorite Chana Masala Recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, (soaked in water 12-24 hours or see notes) or sub 4-5 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2–3 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil. (GHEE elevates this to the next level of goodness!!!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (whole)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 large shallots ( or sub one large onion)
- 4 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/2 –1 jalapeno or 1 serrano chili, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (and their juices) or 14-ounce can tomato puree, (although fresh tastes better here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (taste, use more if dry chickpeas, less if canned)
- 2 cups water if using dry, soaked chickpeas (or 1/2 cup water if using if canned or fully cooked chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar if needed
- If using dry beans, soak chickpeas in a bowl with 6 cups water, for 8-12 hours on counter, or up to 24 hours in the fridge. Drain. (See notes for quick instant pot “soak”)
- Set Instant pot to Saute function. (See notes for stovetop.)Heat ghee and add whole bay leaves and cumin seeds and fennel seeds stirring 2-3 minutes until fragrant and golden.
- Add shallots (or onions) Saute until golden and fragrant, stirring often. Add garlic, ginger and diced chili, saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the spices- garam masala, ground cumin, coriander, chili powder, fenugreek, turmeric.
- Give a stir then add the tomatoes and their juices, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes, scraping up any browned bits.
- Once the tomatoes start to break down add the water (if using dry chickpeas), salt, and drained chickpeas. Give a good stir, scraping up any browned bits ( to prevent burn error).
- Set Instant to High Pressure for 25 minutes. (SEE NOTES!!!) Naturally, release for 15 minutes then manually release.
- Taste and adjust salt. If it tastes bitter, add a little sugar or honey ( 1-2 teaspoons) to help balance.
- If you want it more flavorful, stir in another teaspoon of garam masala, or if you want extra richness, a splash of coconut milk is nice.
See Chana Masala Recipe post for Instant Pot details.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 9.4 g
- Sodium: 423 mg
- Fat: 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 9.8 g
- Protein: 14.9 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: chickpea recipes, garbanzo bean recipes, best chickpea recipes, chickpea recipes vegan, chickpea recipes easy, vegan chickpea recipes, garbanzo bean recipes, indian chickpea recipes