This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Vegetable Biryani! A fragrant Indian rice dish with vegetables and chickpeas infused with Indian spices – vegan and gluten-free. A quick and easy weeknight meal.
The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it. It’s our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.Brene Brown
This recipe for Vegetable Biryani requires only 15 minutes of hands-on-time before it gently simmers on the stovetop, relatively hands-free. Biryani, if unfamiliar, is an Indian staple, made with rice that varies greatly from region to region, often made with chicken. Here is another authentic recipe for Chicken Biryani, if you’d like to go that route.
This version is totally meatless, made with veggies and chickpeas- and can be made very quickly using white basmati rice. As it simmers, fragrant Indian spices infuse the house with goodness. Serve this with flavorful Cilantro Mint Chutney which can easily be made vegan by using vegan yogurt!
Vegetable Biryani | 60-sec video
Table of Contents
Ingredients In Vegetable Biryani
- White Basmati Rice– will be light and fluffy. You can use brown basmati, you will need to adjust the broth amount and cooking time.
- Onion– getting these lightly caramelized will give the best flavor.
- Veggies- bell pepper and carrot. Feel free to add more- zucchini, eggplant, etc.
- Spices– these are what are going to give this dish incredible depth and deliciousness.
- Vegetable Broth– make sure it is flavorful or make your own broth!
- See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make Vegetable Biryani
The best way cook biryani is to cover the simmering rice with a thin kitchen towel, folding the edges up over the lid. This helps create a good seal and allowing the rice to cook more evenly.
When it’s done, the rice with be perfectly cooked and fluffy.
Sprinkle with toasted cashews, raisins and cilantro.
Serve with a side of cilantro mint chutney!
If you are looking for a more traditional Indian-style biryani recipe like I mentioned before, try this Chicken Biryani recipe -it’s delicious! It’s perfect for a Sunday when you have time to be in the kitchen for a couple of hours.
Vegetable Biryani Faqs
A mixed rice dish. Originating among the Muslims of South Asia. It is a staple comfort food in many households.
Yes, it contains vegetables, spices that are great for digestion, and protein from the chickpeas!
Cilantro mint chutney and Raita as well as Bombay carrot salad.
Hope you enjoy!
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
Quick and Easy Vegetable Biryani! A fragrant Indian rice dish infused with Indian spices – vegan adaptable and gluten-free. A quick and easy weeknight meal. Serve it with Cilantro Mint Chutney.
- 2 cups white basmati rice (see notes for brown basmati)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or sub ghee or coconut oil)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced carrot (or use match sticks)
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or use ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin ( or whole seeds)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (or whole seeds, cracked open)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or one cinnamon stick)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (or 3 crushed cardamom pods)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 star anise pod (optional)
- 4 cups veggie stock ( or chicken stock)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Garnish: 1/4 cup cashews and chopped parsley or cilantro
Serve with Cilantro Mint Chutney (vegan adaptable!)
- Soak rice in a bowl of hot water while you prep ingredients.
- In a large skillet, or shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until tender and golden, 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium, add the veggies, garlic and ginger, and sauté 4-5 minutes. Remove one cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Add spices and bay leaf, and stir one minute, toasting the spices. Drain the rice and add it along with veggie broth and salt.
- Top with chickpeas, raisins and the cup of veggies you set aside. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then lower heat to low. Cover the pot with a thin dish towel, then place the lid over the top of the towel, and bring the four corners of the towel up and over the lid. This will tighten the seal and keep the steam in, allowing the rice to cook more quickly and evenly.
- Simmer on low 20-30 minutes or until the rice has soaked up the liquid. See notes.
- While it is simmering make the Cilantro Mint Chutney
- Uncover the Biryani and fluff up with a fork. Top with the toasted cashew and cilantro.
- Serve with optional Chutney.
***Instant or “Quick Cooking” Basmati Rice does not taste good here.
Basmati Rice: liquid to rice ratio may vary -please refer to your rice package instructions. For example, my basmati rice says 1 cup rice to 2 cups water. If yours says 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water, please adjust veggie stock accordingly.
Brown basmati rice may require 10 more minutes of cooking time and more liquid. Check package directions for cooking time and liquid requirements- adding more liquid if need be-each rice is different.
Variations: You are welcome to add other veggies to the biryani- here I’ve added thinly sliced sweet peppers. Zucchini, eggplant or even mushrooms (saute them first) would be nice. If you want to add chicken to this, make sure to season it well and brown it first before adding to the rice mixture to simmer.
- Serving Size: 1 ¼ cups
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 10.2 g
- Sodium: 416.2 mg
- Fat: 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 73.6 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegetable biryani, vegan biryani, chick pea biryani recipe, vegetarian biryani, vegetarian biryani recipe,