Use 3 cups of fresh cooked chickpeas, remembering if you live in the Northwest, we grown our own lovely chickpeas here, in the Palouse, so try to seek them out. Soak and cook. Or, alternately use 2 cans, drained and rinsed. For veggies, add bell pepper, cucumber and tomatoes when in season. Mint, parsley and scallions give it a burst of flavor.
I really load it up with herbs- not only flavorful but full of nutrients.
Place everything in a bowl, then drizzle with oil, lemon, salt and pepper and toss.
Sometimes I also make tacos out of it.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Vegan Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Middle eastern
- 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans- ( 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper-diced
- 1 cup chopped vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 5 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- ½ cup to 1 cup fresh mint- chopped
- ½ cup to 1 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- zest of one lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sumac ( optional)
- ¼–½ teaspoon cayenne or aleppo chili flakes
- Optional sides –toasted pita bread, or tortilla wraps, baba ganoush, tahini sauce for drizzling, hummus, crumbled feta or a big bed a of greens.
- Place all ingredients in a big bowl.
- Toss well and taste, adjusting salt, lemon, and spice level.
- Serve with salad greens or pita and tahini sauce,
Keeps up to 4 days in the fridge!
- Calories: 256
Keywords: chickpea salad, chickpea salad recipe, balela, balela salad, vegan chickpea salad recipes, vegan chickpea salad