This Middle Eastern Chickpea Salad called Balela Salad, is vegan and healthy! Made w/ finely chopped veggies, fresh herbs, lemon & olive oil. Serve it in a pita with tahini sauce or over greens.
- 3 cups cooked garbanzo beans- ( 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper-diced
- 1 cup chopped vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 5 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup fresh mint- chopped
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup Italian parsley – chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sumac ( optional)
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne or aleppo chili flakes
- Optional sides –toasted pita bread, or tortilla wraps, baba ganoush, tahini sauce for drizzling, hummus, crumbled feta or a big bed a of greens.
- Place all ingredients in a big bowl.
- Toss well and taste, adjusting salt, lemon, and spice level.
- Serve with salad greens or pita and tahini sauce,
Keeps up to 4 days in the fridge!
- Calories: 256
Keywords: chickpea salad, chickpea salad recipe, balela, balela salad, vegan chickpea salad recipes, vegan chickpea salad