What I first noticed about these amazing little Pedrosillano Café Garbanzo Beans (or chickpeas) was their size. They are tiny. But after an overnight soaking, they double in size. They have thin skin and a really creamy interior, making them a perfect candidate for hummus, because of their exceptionally smooth texture and nuttily flavor. They are also great for soups. And I have to say is, I loved them so much we started selling them at our store, Bowl and Pitcher! Who wouldn’t want a bag of these as a gift….I know I would.
Pacific Northwest Farmers Cooperative (also known as PNW) is dedicated to preserving 100-year-old family farms in eastern Washington and northern Idaho, rooted in sustainable agriculture. These family farms protect and nurture their land through crop rotation, cover cropping, and reducing toxic chemicals and fossil fuels. These practices allow PNW Co-op to offer incredibly healthy and delicious garbanzo beans, lentils and split peas.
One cup of these dried chickpeas, soaked overnight more than doubled in volume.
While the soup is simmering, make flavorful garlic rosemary sourdough croutons.
To make the soup: In a heavy bottomed pot, saute the onion, garlic and rosemary. Add the strained chicken stock, bay leaves, the soaked garbanzo beans and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat until beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken and kale. You could also add andouille sausage.
Simmer 10 minutes. Add salt, cracked pepper, soy sauce and a light squeeze of lemon. Taste for salt ( I ended up using a total of 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt). Remember, the rosemary croutons will add a lot of flavor.
Chicken, Kale and Chickpea Soup with Rosemary Croutons– a delicious hearty meal, perfect for cold winter nights!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans–soaked overnight (or 1 can of garbanzo’s rinsed and strained.)
- 8 cups flavorful chicken stock or veggie stock
- 2–4 Cups chopped kale
- 1–2 cups cooked chicken -shredded or cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- pinch chili flakes (optional) add if going vegan
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 links andouille sausage – sliced and browned (optional, but delicious!)
- Saute onion in 2 T olive oil on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and rosemary. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, garbanzo beans and bay leaves, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat until beans are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, cooked andouie sausage and chopped kale. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add salt, cracked pepper, soy sauce and a light squeeze of lemon. Taste for salt ( I ended up using a total of 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt).
Remember, the rosemary croutons will add a lot of flavor and lovely texture!
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl mix the oil, garlic and rosemary.
- Brush on both sides of bread and stick on a baking sheet in oven until crisp and golden about 15-20 minutes.
Keywords: kale chickpea soup, chicken soup with kale, chicken soup with chickpeas and kale