Chicken, Kale and Chickpea Soup with Rosemary Croutons– a delicious hearty meal, perfect for cold winter nights!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans–soaked overnight (or 1 can of garbanzo’s rinsed and strained.)
- 8 cups flavorful chicken stock or veggie stock
- 2–4 Cups chopped kale
- 1–2 cups cooked chicken -shredded or cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
- pinch chili flakes (optional) add if going vegan
- squeeze of lemon
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 links andouille sausage – sliced and browned (optional, but delicious!)
- Saute onion in 2 T olive oil on med heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and rosemary. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, garbanzo beans and bay leaves, bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat until beans are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add chicken, cooked andouie sausage and chopped kale. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add salt, cracked pepper, soy sauce and a light squeeze of lemon. Taste for salt ( I ended up using a total of 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt).
Remember, the rosemary croutons will add a lot of flavor and lovely texture!
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a small bowl mix the oil, garlic and rosemary.
- Brush on both sides of bread and stick on a baking sheet in oven until crisp and golden about 15-20 minutes.