Brighten up your day with this Beet Bliss Bowl! A simple vegan bowl made with ingredients you probably already have on hand- beets, quinoa and chickpeas-that can be made in under 30 minutes! Great for meal-prepping and guaranteed to lift your spirits!
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.~ Lao Tzu
This Beet Bliss Bowl is made with beets, quinoa, and chickpeas, and topped with avocado, slivered almonds, watermelon radishes, and a fresh mound of all those lovely Microgreens you hopefully started growing! The basic recipe is easy and simple and I’m sure you find all sorts of ways to adapt, using up what you have.
Ingredients in a Beet Bliss Bowl:
It starts with a beet. You can treat the beet two different ways here and both ways are delicious. You can either peel and dice the beet and simmer it with the quinoa, or you can grate the beet and add it raw at the end.
Dice the beet small, so gets tender in the same amount of time it takes to cook the quinoa.
Make sure to rinse the quinoa here.
Then add the quinoa, beets, chickpeas, water, salt and spices to the pot. Stir and bring to a simmer.
Cover and lower heat to low so it is gently simmering. Cook until ALL the water is gone ( roughly 18 minutes). This is key here, you don’t want this too wet. Let this stand covered for another 5-10 minutes.
The quinoa will turn a lovely color.
Fluff with a fork and place in a big bowl. Toss with the dressing ingredients.
Adjust salt and pepper and vinegar to your liking.
Then toss with the basil, almonds, red onion, and arugula.
If prepping this ahead for the workweek, leave out the basil and arugula until serving. You can heat up the quinoa-chickpea base if you like, or keep it cold.
How easy is that?
A healthy delicious vegan bowl filled with all the good stuff. Give it a try and tell us what you think.
Other recipes you may like:
- Lemony Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Everyday Quinoa with Lemon, Shallots and Herbs
- Our 20 Best Chickpea Recipes!
- 20 Buddha Bowls (Vegan & Plant-Based!)
- Spaghetti and Beetballs! (Vegan Meatballs)
Brighten up your day with this Beet Bliss Bowl! A simple vegan bowl made with beets, quinoa, avocado and chickpeas-that can be made in under 30 minutes! Great for meal-prepping and guaranteed to lift your spirits!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup beets, peeled and diced small (1/2 inch dice) or grated raw, see notes
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 cups water (or veggie stock)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 1 garlic clove finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or Italian herbs, or oregano)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon maple or honey
- 1/8–1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion ( if sensitive to onions, soak in cold salted water 15 mins, drain)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (torn or make ribbons) or sub cilantro or Flat-leaf Parsley
- a couple of handfuls baby arugula
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (or sub pumpkin seeds)
Bring to a boil, cover, then lower heat to low and simmer gently until all the water is gone, about 17-20 minutes. (Take care to cook off all the water) Let this stand 5-10 minutes covered.
Add the red onions, basil and arugula. If making ahead, you can leave the arugula out until serving. Toss.
Taste and adjust salt, pepper and vinegar to your liking- adding more if you like.
Serve in bowls with a handful of microgreens, sliced avocado, and the slivered almonds. This can be served at room temp, warm or cold. I’ll often reheat leftovers in a bowl creating a warm base, then add the cool components over top.
If you prefer to keep the beets raw, peel and grate and add when you add the dressing and onions.
Keywords: beet bowl, quinoa beet chickpea recipe, vegan quinoa bowl, vegan buddha bowl, chickpea bowl, chickpea quinoa beet bowl,