These Grilled Beets are perfectly tender with a rich caramelized flavor. Top with pesto for over-the-top deliciousness. Perfect as a side dish, or add to salads, toasts and bowls.
I can only give to you what I have already given to myself. I can only understand the world as much as I understand myself. ~Yung Pueblo
Grilled Beets with Pesto is a gorgeous easy dish, full of color, amazing flavor and so nutritious! Beets are an incredibly replenishing and grounding food.
The vegetables that grow buried in the earth are the ones that help us feel more connected to the present moment, promoting calm, steady, resilient energy. They grow with roots anchored in the soil keeping them in place, where they are plugged into the source of nutrients.
What a beautiful energy to invite into our bodies!
This is a slow food recipe. We first bake the beets for about an hour in the oven, other than that it takes very little hands on time and the results are totally worth it! The best part about this is that the baking can be done ahead of time.
Bake them up, chill and then take out of the fridge, slice them up, and throw on the grill. Delicious served both warm or cold. Bake up a couple of batches of beets and keep them in the fridge for the week.
WHY bake the beets first? Not only does this process soften the beets, it caramelizes the beet in its own juices magnifying all the flavor within, resulting in an even sweeter densely flavorful gorgeous delight. The grilling then takes it all to another level, creating a texture that is velvety with lightly caramelized edges.
What you’ll need for Grilled Beets with Pesto
- beets, all the varieties are so beautiful and fun!
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- 1 batch of Pesto
How to make Grilled Beets
STEP ONE– Roast the beets. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Clean any dirt or debris off the beets but don’t trim the ends. Leave about 1/4 inch of the stem intact. This will keep the juices contained while they cook. Wrap the beets in foil and place them on a pan. (Alternatively bake in a pan, or dutch oven with a lid.)
Bake for 60-75 minutes. This will depend on the size of the beets. We are just going for a knife easily piercing into the center but not overly soft. (Beets can be baked up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated.)
STEP TWO- When the beets cool down, the peels will slip off easily.
STEP FOUR- Preheat grill to high heat. This usually takes about 15 minutes; let it get good and hot. Place beet slices in a single layer on the grill or in a grill basket (if the beets are small they can slip through the grates). Grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until grilled to your preference.
STEP FIVE-Serve on a platter liberally drizzled with this delicious basil pesto, salt and pepper to taste.
WAYS TO SERVE GRILLED BEETS
- As a tasty vegan side dish
- On toast: smear a piece of toast with pesto, chimichurri or zhoug, top with grilled beet slices and a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese
- Add to grain bowls or buddha bowls
- Enhance salads
- Add to sandwiches
- Serve as a simple lunch or snack
More beet recipes you may enjoy:
- Poke Beets!
- Beet Bliss Bowl
- Beet Orange and Fennel Salad
- Burrata with Tomatoes, Beets & Basil
- Warm Lentils with Roasted Beets, Wilted Chard & Goat Cheese
- 2O Fresh Beet Recipes
The quote above is from Inward by Yung Pueblo. This little book contains short easy passages full of much contemplation about looking to expand and grow ourselves first when desiring a change in our circumstances and surroundings. So hard and beautiful all at once!
I am practicing letting go and trusting what I seek will find me. As I learn to lean into this of receiving the flow meant for me, I find it such a wonder that without much effort the inspiration that I need appears, whether from a conversation, a book, a bumper sticker, or a butterfly hovering near me…messages are everywhere when I am willing to be still, observe and receive.
Happy summer! Enjoy some grilled beets and stay grounded!
These Grilled Beets are perfectly tender with a rich caramelized flavor. Top with pesto for over the top deliciousness. Perfect as a side dish, or add to salads and bowls.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Clean any dirt or debris off the beets. Leave about 1/4 bit of the stem intact. This will keep the juices contained. Wrap the beets in foil and place on a pan. Alternatively, bake in a pan with a lid.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes. This will depend on the size of the beets. We are just going for a knife easily piercing into the center, but not overly soft. (Baking can be done ahead of time up to a few days.)
- Peel and slice. When the beets cool down, the peels will slip off easily. Slice into 1/4 inch slices. Brush with olive oil, balsamic and a sprinkle of salt.
- Preheat grill to high heat. This usually takes about 15 minutes, let it get good and hot. Place beet slices in a single layer on the grill or in a grill basket (if the beets are small they can slip through the grates).
- Grill about 5 minutes each side or until grilled to your preference.
Serve on a platter liberally drizzled with this delicious pesto, salt and pepper to taste.
Feel free to roast beets up to 3 days ahead and refrigerate, and make pesto ahead.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 54
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 59.4 mg
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grilled beets, how to grill beets, grilling beets, grilled beet, grilled beet recipe