Brighten up your day with this Winter Bliss Bowl! A simple vegan bowl made with beets, quinoa, avocado and chickpeas-that can be made in under 30 minutes! Great for meal-prepping and guaranteed to lift your spirits!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup beets, peeled and diced small (1/2 inch dice) or grated raw, see notes
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 cups water (or veggie stock)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (or 1 garlic clove finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or Italian herbs, or oregano)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon maple or honey
- 1/8–1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion ( if sensitive to onions, soak in cold salted water 15 mins, drain)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (torn or make ribbons) or sub cilantro or Flat-leaf Parsley
- a couple of handfuls baby arugula
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (or sub pumpkin seeds)
Bring to a boil, cover, then lower heat to low and simmer gently until all the water is gone, about 17-20 minutes. (Take care to cook off all the water) Let this stand 5-10 minutes covered.
Add the red onions, basil and arugula. If making ahead, you can leave the arugula out until serving. Toss.
Taste and adjust salt, pepper and vinegar to your liking- adding more if you like.
Serve in bowls with a handful of microgreens, sliced avocado, and the slivered almonds. This can be served at room temp, warm or cold. I’ll often reheat leftovers in a bowl creating a warm base, then add the cool components over top.
If you prefer to keep the beets raw, peel and grate and add when you add the dressing and onions.
Keywords: beet bowl, quinoa beet chickpea recipe, vegan quinoa bowl, vegan buddha bowl, chickpea bowl, chickpea quinoa beet bowl,