A flavorful and complex Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe that is deep, smoky, tangy, and subtly sweet with a little bit of heat. Perfect on…. well basically anything in my opinion! Make a batch of it and store it in the fridge for up to a couple of months. Feels good to know there are no strange ingredients on the label. I love it on these vegan spaghetti squash sliders ,and these stuffed sweet potatoes !
Homemade BBQ Sauce
A delicious Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe that is deep, smoky, tangy and sweet. The perfect combination. Easy, VEGAN and gluten-free!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Cuisine: American
- 1–2 tablespoons oil
- ½ a large onion- finely diced
- 6 fat garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1 x 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Amino Acid ( GF)
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ⅓ cup brown sugar ( or coconut sugar or other sugar alternative)
- generous pinch salt and pepper
- 3–4 tablespoons Chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce- the juice only. ( see notes)
- Optional additions or substitutions – liquid smoke, chipotle powder, smoked paprika
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large sauce pan or skillet. Add onions and sauté, and stir continuously for 4-5 minutes. Turn heat down to medium low and add garlic. Sauté 6-7 more minutes, stirring and cooking until golden and translucent.
- Add tomato paste and let it brown in the skillet for about 1-2 minutes turning heat up a bit.
- Add water and stir to incorporate.
- Add vinegar, soy, molasses, brown sugar and generous pinch salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3- 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add canned chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce ( THE SAUCE ONLY) one tablespoon at a time. SEE NOTES. Cook only for 5-10 more minutes. Let cool and store in a mason jar in the fridge.
- NOTES: This will not only add heat, it will add smokiness. If you can’t find this, you can sub chipotle powder to taste, or smoked paprika and chili powder to taste. You can also add liquid smoke for extra smokey flavor – using very conservatively, adding more to taste.
- Store in a jar in the fridge. Keeps up to 2 month.