This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
We’ve been LOVING this BBQ Tofu Sandwich lately! Crispy tofu is slathered in BBQ sauce, topped with avocado & a cool cilantro cabbage slaw- a tasty vegan meal in under 30 minutes! Video. Plus 50+ Amazing Tofu Recipes!
Need a quick healthy meal? This is hands-down one of the tastiest Tofu sandwiches I’ve ever had! I keep thinking if we still had our restaurant this would for sure be on the menu this week! It’s a fast easy meal, and oh so satisfying!
I’m pretty sure even tofu skeptics will love this one too. If you are on a sandwich kick like we have been, you might also enjoy this Tempeh Reuben Sandwich ( which can be made vegan with vegan mozzarella) it is also yummy!
What I love about this BBQ Tofu Sandwich
- It’s super fast!
- Simple affordable ingredients.
- Over the top in the flavor dept- tangy, subtle heat, smoky, delicious!
- Great texture- warm crispy tofu, cool crunchy slaw- a perfect marriage.
- The slaw adds nutrients! I’d suggest making a double batch.
- It’s vegan!
- Will make anyone love tofu. Guaranteed.
Crispy BBQ TOFU SANDWICH VIDEO
Ingredients in BBQ TOFU Sandwich
- Tofu – firm or extra firm, organic, if possible
- olive oil or coconut oil
- BBQ Sauce- find a brand with no high-fructose corn syrup (or make your own)
- Sriracha or Red Chili Paste (optional)
- Cabbage- green or purple ( use pre-cut cabbage if pressed for time)
- Onion- red is nice
- Cilantro- fresh
- Vegan Mayo- or use regular mayo
- AC vinegar- or white vinegar
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt and Pepper
- Soft, toasted buns- store bought or make your own
- Avocado- optional
How to make BBQ Tofu Sandwich
Cut the tofu into two slabs, one-inch thick, perhaps trimming to fit the bun. Pat gently with paper towels.
Season a skillet generously with oil, salt and fresh cracked pepper and heat it up.
Sear the tofu on both sides, until deeply golden and crispy.
While the tofu is cooking, make the quick and easy slaw, using precut cabbage if pressed for time. Cilantro and onion add great flavor here.
Mix BBQ Sauce and red chili paste (or sriracha) in a bowl and brush it liberally on the tofu, getting the bottom too.
Let the sauce caramelize just slightly in the pan, before turning the heat off.
Toast the buns and assemble! Feel free to add avocado if you like- a bit messier, but oh so tasty!
And voila! You’ll have a delicious meal on the table in under 30 minutes! This recipe makes two hearty sandwiches.
We also LOVE these sandwiches:
- Banh Mi Sandwich Recipe ( vegan adaptable!)
- Caprese Sandwich
- Curry Chickpea Salad Wraps with Toasted Coconut
- Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich
- Herby Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
My husband Brian totally devoured this and proclaimed he would happily eat this anytime I wanted to make it.
So with a tofu skeptic, I would just plop it down right in front of them, and not even say anything. I’m pretty confident, that if they like BBQ Sauce, one bite is all it will take. 😉
Enjoy the summer weekend!
More Recipes you may like:
- 50+ Amazing Tofu Recipes
- Black Garlic Tofu
- Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Quick Sourdough Buns
- How to make Vegan Mayo!
- BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Corn with Chipotle-Lime Butter
Crispy BBQ Tofu Sandwich topped with cool, creamy cilantro cabbage slaw and avocado, that can be made in under 30 minutes. Vegan!
- 1 block tofu- organic, extra firm, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ Sauce (aim for one without high fructose corn syrup, or make your own)
- 1 teaspoon chili paste or sriracha
- 2 soft buns, (like brioche buns) toasted
- Avocado- optional, messy but good. 😉
Creamy Cilantro Slaw:
- Drain the block of tofu, pat dry, and cut into one-inch-thick slabs. Trim if needed to fit the bun. You can get 2, maybe 3 out of one block. Pat dry again.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the oil. Once the pepper is fragrant, carefully add the tofu. Sear until crispy and deeply golden- do not move it around in the pan, let it develop a crust, so it will release itself. Lower heat if splattering- this will take about 12 minutes.
- Mix the BBQ sauce and red chili paste in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the shredded cabbage in a medium bowl, add onions and cilantro, mayo, vinegar, and salt, and toss to combine well. Taste. It should be creamy, tangy and flavorful. Feel free to add more vinegar, salt or mayo to attain this. All mayos are different!
- Toast the buns and slice the avocado.
- Once the tofu is nice and crispy, lower the heat to low, and add the bbq sauce mixture, coating the tofu well. I use all the sauce. Let it caramelize just slightly in the pan, and turn the heat off.
- Assemble the Sandwich. Spread more mayo on the bottom bun if you like, add the hot tofu, and top with cool slaw and a few slices of avocado.
- EAT immediately. 🙂
- Serving Size: one sandwich
- Calories: 527
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 1128.4 mg
- Fat: 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.2 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 21.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Tofu sandwich, best tofu sandwich, tofu burger, bbq tofu burger, bbq tofu sandwich