We’ve been LOVING this BBQ Tofu Sandwich lately! Crispy tofu is slathered in BBQ sauce and is topped with a cool, creamy cilantro cabbage slaw and avocado. Make it in under 30 minutes. Vegan & Delicious!
Calling all tofu skeptics! This is hands-down one of the tastiest Tofu sandwiches I’ve ever had! I keep thinking if we still had our restaurant this would for sure be on the menu this week! It’s an easy one, but oh so satisfying!
What I love about this BBQ Tofu Sandwich
- It’s super fast!
- Simple affordable ingredients.
- Over the top in the flavor dept- tangy, subtle heat, smoky, delicious!
- Great texture- warm crispy tofu, cool crunchy slaw- a perfect marriage.
- The slaw adds nutrients! I’d suggest making a double batch.
- It’s vegan!
- Will make anyone love tofu. Guaranteed.
Ingredients in BBQ TOFU Sandwich
- Tofu – extra firm organic
- olive oil or coconut oil
- BBQ Sauce- find a brand with no high-fructose corn syrup (or make your own)
- Sriracha or Red Chili Paste (optional)
- Cabbage- green or purple ( use pre-cut cabbage if pressed for time)
- Onion- red is nice
- Cilantro- fresh
- Vegan Mayo- or use regular mayo
- AC vinegar- or white vinegar
- Fresh cilantro
- Salt and Pepper
- Soft, toasted buns- Brioche buns are nice, or make your own
- Avocado- optional
How to make BBQ Tofu Sandwich
Cut the tofu into two slabs, one-inch thick, perhaps trimming to fit the bun. Pat gently with paper towels.
Season a skillet generously with oil, salt and fresh cracked pepper and heat it up.
Sear the tofu on both sides, until deeply golden and crispy.
While the tofu is cooking, make the quick and easy slaw, using precut cabbage if pressed for time. Cilantro and onion add great flavor here.
Mix BBQ Sauce and red chili paste (or sriracha) in a bowl and brush it liberally on the tofu, getting the bottom too.
Let the sauce caramelize just slightly in the pan, before turning the heat off.
Toast the buns and assemble! Feel free to add avocado if you like- a bit messier, but oh so tasty!
And voila! You’ll have a delicious meal on the table in under 30 minutes! This recipe makes two hearty sandwiches.
My husband Brian totally devoured this and proclaimed he would happily eat this anytime I wanted to make it.
So with a tofu skeptic, I would just plop it down right in front of them, and not even say anything. I’m pretty confident, that if they like BBQ Sauce, one bite is all it will take. 😉
Enjoy the summer weekend!
More Recipes you may like:
- Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Quick Sourdough Buns
- How to make Vegan Mayo!
- BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Corn with Chipotle-Lime Butter