This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This toasty Tempeh Reuben sandwich with Smoked Mozzarella Cheese and Sauerkraut- is a great vegetarian option for those who crave hearty, meaty Reuben sandwiches with out the meat! Vegan-adaptable!
This Tempeh Reuben Sandwich with Smoked Mozzarella Cheese is a little nod to our former restaurant Mizuna, back in the day. In the beginning, right after we opened the restaurant, a woman named Lindy started coming in for lunch several times a week and always ordered the same exact thing – our Tempeh Reuben Sandwich, extra toasty.
For years, my nickname for her was “extra toasty.” Since then we’ve become friends and of course, now I call her by her actual name – Lindy – but every once in a while “extra toasty” still slips out of my mouth. This is for you Lindy, extra toasty.
Today we are using our Turmeric Saurkraut but feel free to use storebought. The smoked mozzarella, however, should not be skipped if you can help it, because it brings the sandwich to a whole other level. Or feel free to sub Vegan Mozzarella. The sandwich is pretty decadent, so I’ll make one and share half with Brian, with a very big salad on the side. And friends, this is how I manage all the yummy delicious food around here that isn’t always light and low calorie – I’ll just have little bit. That’s the secret.
That way I don’t feel deprived. I’ll have a few slow, delicious, mindful bites and pair it with a healthy salad. The moment I begin depriving myself, I usually end up eating way more than I should. Honestly, I have zero willpower. So I allow myself decadence, in moderate doses, to prevent the battle itself.
tempeh Rueben Ingredeints
- Delicious Rye Bread- I love our sourdough bread with a bit of rye.
- Sauerkraut (either homemade or store-bought)
- Mustard- whole grain is nice.
- Smoked Mozzarella – is essential! ( or sub vegan Mozzarella)
- Tempeh -organic if possible!
Here is where you can learn about how. tomake the turmeric sauerkraut .
You can leave the tempeh whole, or thinly slice it and make it crispy, like tempeh “bacon”.
what is tempeh?
Tempeh is a vegan “patty” made from fermented soybeans and or grains. It is very high in protein and calcium and low in fat – with a very textured, nutty flavor. It’s very firm and doesn’t easily crumble like tofu. Many vegetarian and vegan recipes use tempeh as a meat substitute and it holds up well. Since it is a low-fat and high-protein food, many vegans choose to include tempeh in their diet on a regular basis. Tempeh can be found in the refrigerated section of most health food stores and in the natural foods aisle of well-stocked grocery stores.
Remember to always simmer tempeh for 8-10 minutes in seasoned water to soften and help lessen its bitterness. This can be water with a splash of vinegar and soy sauce or salt. It really makes a difference! Once simmered, season it or marinate it as you wish. It is like tofu, in that it’s a nice canvas for other flavors. So Flavor it up!!!
How to make a Tempeh Rueben!
Brian likes his tempeh crispy, giving it a “bacony” texture. Cooking it this way does add calories though. To cut back, simply sear the tempeh whole.
Melt Mozzarella cheese on good bread letting it get extra toasty. Lather it with whole grain mustard.
Pile up the tempeh and turmeric sauerkraut.
Then top with the toasted bread with the melted smoked mozzarella.
Now this is a sandwich folks – hearty, delicious, meaty and full of texture and flavor.
It hits the spot.
Make one and share half with a friend or family member, along with an extra large green salad.
For more tempeh recipes….check these out!
Have a delicious week!
If you like this recipe, remember to rate it and comment below!
A delicious recipe for Tempeh Reuben with Smoked Mozzarella Cheese and Sauerkraut. Vegan adaptable!
- 4 ounces tempeh
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon AC vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 ounce smoked mozzarella cheese, sliced ( or sub swiss cheese, or vegan cheese)
- 1–2 tablespoons whole grain mustard or Thousand Island dressing
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut ( for turmeric sauerkraut go here)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F
- Place tempeh in a saucepan, cover with water and add soy sauce and vinegar. Simmer covered for 15 minutes. Drain and slice into ¼ inch strips.
- Heat oil in a skillet and sear each side until golden and crispy. Drizzle with few drops of soy sauce, for flavor. Go light, taste add more if you want.
- Lather up one piece of bread with mustard or dressing. Top with seared tempeh and cheese and place in the oven until he cheese melts. Toast the other piece of bread at the same time, them lather with mustard.
- Once melty, top with kraut and assemble the sandwich. Enjoy!
You can also sear the tempeh whole (not sliced) searing each side until golden and heated through, then add a little splash of soy for flavor.
- Serving Size: one whole sandwich
- Calories: 494
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 1234.5 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 46.8 g
- Fiber: 14.6 g
- Protein: 36.1 g
- Cholesterol: 5.1 mg
Keywords: Tempeh reuben Recipe, tempeh rueben, tempeh sandwich, vegan reuben, tempeh reuben sandwich,