This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
This Vegan Ceasar Salad is topped with Cajun Tofu and dressed in the most delicious creamy Vegan Caesar Dressing made with silken tofu that is dairy-free, nut-free and low in calories!
Our fridge is full of lettuce. I wish you could see it all! The leftovers from catering (I tend to over order) plus all the tender beautiful greens from our local CSA, I’m really not exaggerating when I say, it has been a salad factory around here trying to use up what we can at every possible opportunity before it’s too late.
This Vegan Caesar Salad topped with Cajun Tofu has been on regular rotation. For some reason, this is one of those salads I crave. Crisp cool lettuce bathed in creamy vegan caesar dressing, topped with crispy flavorful blackened tofu, I love the contrast of temperatures, textures and flavor. A variation of this vegan caesar dressing was once on the Mizuna Restaurant Menu when we first opened back in the 90’s.
By the way, this Vegan Caesar Dressing happens to pass the Brian test. He couldn’t detect it was vegan and is usually very good about sniffing this sort of thing out- but today, not a clue. But up to you, feel at liberty to use your own favorite caesar recipe. If tofu is not your thing, or you’ve never given it a real chance, this may be the recipe to try it with, because of its great favor and texture.
For the Cajun rub, I’m smitten with Spiceology’s Black Magic. I’m a pretty hard sell when it comes to spice blends, preferring to make them at home myself, but this one really is magic. I love love love love it! It’s flavorful and not overly spicy. You can use a generous amount to create a nice thick crust and it won’t overwhelm the palate. It has depth and just the right amount of sweetness and heat, to me, perfectly balanced.
The Vegan Caesar Dressing is nut-free and dairy-free. It’s made with silken tofu, giving it a delicious creaminess without all the calories. Capers and a sheet of nori take the place of anchovies, adding delicious depth.
The crispy cajun tofu is also delicious as a vegan burger….super tasty!
That’s about it folks. A simple Vegan Caesar Salad, full of good flavor.
More recipes you may like:
- 40 Must-Try Vegan Salads
- Tofu Katsu!
- How to make Crispy Tofu
- How to Bake Tofu with 3 Flavorful Marinades!
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
Vegan Ceasar Salad with Blackened Cajun Tofu dressed in a creamy caesar dressing that is dairy-free, nut-free and low in calories!
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1–2 tablespoons Cajun Spice ( I like this one)
- oil for searing
- Crisp Lettuce- romaine, butter, green leaf, little gems – enough for two, about 8 ounces.
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- fresh parsley, or nasturtiums
Vegan Caesar Dressing – Makes 1 cup, 6-8 servings (or use your favorite brand of store-bought)
- 1/2 package firm silken tofu ( 6 ounces) Like Mori- Nu Blue ( firm)
- 3 cloves garlic- rough chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 1/3 cup mild olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon caper brine ( liquid form the jar)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce ( or for even better taste, use vegan fish sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 half sheet of nori seaweed, broken up ( the kind you use for sushi)- optional
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast– optional
- Prep Tofu: Cut tofu into 1inch thick pieces. Place on paper towels, lightly pressing down while blotting dry and then air dry for a few minutes.
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients into a blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. Taste. Adjust salt, garlic and lemon, making sure you can taste all three, adding more if necessary. It may taste strong but it will mellow out when tossed with the greens. You want it to have a “bite”.
- Continue with tofu: Lightly sprinkle with salt, then generously dust with Cajun Seasoning.
- Sear tofu. Heat a generous amount of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, sear the tofu, letting it almost blacken, turning heat down to med. You want a nice dark crispy crust, so be patient and cook for a few minutes each side, adding more cajun spice if necessary.
- Toss Salad. In a large bowl, toss greens and a little Italian parsley ( optional) with about ½ the dressing or just enough to coat the lettuce. Divide among two bowls. Divide tomatoes, avocado and seared Cajun tofu between the two bowls. Sprinkle with the rest of the fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately.
The dressing will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 297
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 279.7 mg
- Fat: 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan caesar dressing, vegan caesar salad