Vegan Ceasar Salad with Blackened Cajun Tofu dressed in a creamy caesar dressing that is dairy-free, nut-free and low in calories!
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1–2 tablespoons Cajun Spice ( I like this one)
- oil for searing
- Crisp Lettuce- romaine, butter, green leaf, little gems – enough for two, about 8 ounces.
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- fresh parsley, or nasturtiums
Vegan Caesar Dressing – Makes 1 cup, 6-8 servings (or use your favorite brand of store-bought)
- ½ package firm silken tofu ( 6 ounces) Like Mori- Nu Blue ( firm)
- 3 cloves garlic- rough chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh)
- ⅓ cup mild olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon caper brine ( liquid form the jar)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce ( or for even better taste, use vegan fish sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ half sheet of nori seaweed, broken up ( the kind you use for sushi)- optional
- ½ teaspoon nutritional yeast– optional
- Prep Tofu: Cut tofu into 1inch thick pieces. Place on paper towels, lightly pressing down while blotting dry and then air dry for a few minutes.
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients into a blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. Taste. Adjust salt, garlic and lemon, making sure you can taste all three, adding more if necessary. It may taste strong but it will mellow out when tossed with the greens. You want it to have a “bite”.
- Continue with tofu: Lightly sprinkle with salt, then generously dust with Cajun Seasoning.
- Sear tofu. Heat a generous amount of oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, sear the tofu, letting it almost blacken, turning heat down to med. You want a nice dark crispy crust, so be patient and cook for a few minutes each side, adding more cajun spice if necessary.
- Toss Salad. In a large bowl, toss greens and a little Italian parsley ( optional) with about ½ the dressing or just enough to coat the lettuce. Divide among two bowls. Divide tomatoes, avocado and seared Cajun tofu between the two bowls. Sprinkle with the rest of the fresh parsley. Enjoy immediately.
The dressing will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
Keywords: vegan caesar dressing, vegan caesar salad