In our area, fermented black garlic is available at Trader Joe’s.
The first thing to do, is give it a taste, if you never have before. Once you do, I bet you will think of all sorts of dishes to include it in.
To make the sauce, place 5 or 6 cloves in a blender with a little soy sauce, oil, sugar and water. Sometimes I’ll add a little ginger, but I think I prefer it without.
When prepping your tofu, press it firmly on both sides with paper towels to remove the moisture.
Cut it into ¾ inch cubes…and blot again.
Sprinkle with chives, chive blossoms.
You could also sprinkle toasty peanuts or toasted sesame seeds.
Black Garlic Tofu
Crispy caramelized tofu with a fermented black garlic sauce!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Stir-Fry
- Cuisine: Asian inspired
- 12 oz block of extra firm tofu
- 5–6 cloves black fermented garlic
- 3 T peanut or vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 3 T water
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 T sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅛ C chives and chive blossoms
- Press tofu with paper towels to remove water. Cut into ¾ inch cubes. Blot again.
- Blend the black garlic cloves, oil, water, soy sauce and sugar until combined using a blender.
- Heat 1 T oil in wok or skillet on high heat. Add a generous pinch of salt and cracked pepper to the heating oil. When it begins to smoke, turn heat down to medium high, and carefully slide the tofu in, you don’t want it to splash.
- Turn over tofu, every minute or so, letting it caramelize and crisp up on all sides. This will take about 10 minutes on medium high heat. Once tofu is crispy and golden, scoop it onto a plate and set aside.
- Carefully pour black garlic sauce into the wok and stir constantly over medium high heat, for one minute, and it will turn shiny and dark.
- Place tofu back in wok with the sauce, stir to coat each piece well, about 30 seconds, and serve immediately. If you cook the tofu too long in the sauce, you will loose the nice crisp you created. Top with fresh chopped chives and chive blossoms.