Crispy Vegan Tofu stir-fried in the most flavorful Black Garlic Sauce ….a delicious way to prepare tofu!
- 12 oz block of extra firm tofu
- 5–6 cloves black fermented garlic
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (or Gluten-free Braggs Liquid Amino Acids)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown sugar or alternatve ( coconut, date etc)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅛ cup chives and chive blossoms
- Press tofu with paper towels to remove water. Cut into ¾ inch cubes. Blot again.
- Blend the black garlic cloves, oil, water, soy sauce and sugar until combined using a blender.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon oil in wok or skillet on high heat. Add a generous pinch of salt and cracked pepper to the heating oil. When it begins to smoke, turn heat down to medium high, and carefully slide the tofu in, you don’t want it to splash.
- Turn over tofu, every minute or so, letting it caramelize and crisp up on all sides. This will take about 10 minutes on medium high heat. Once tofu is crispy and golden, scoop it onto a plate and set aside.
- Carefully pour black garlic sauce into the wok and stir constantly over medium high heat, for one minute, and it will turn shiny and dark.
- Place tofu back in wok with the sauce, stir to coat each piece well, about 30 seconds, and serve immediately. If you cook the tofu too long in the sauce, you will loose the nice crisp you created.
- Top with fresh chopped chives and chive blossoms.
Keywords: Black Garlic Tofu, Crispy tofu, Tofu Stir fry, black garlic recipe, crispy black garlic tofu, black garlic sauce