This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Arugula on its own can have a bitter quality. In this pesto, blend it with fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley.
Begin layering your sandwich. Cheese, toamtoes, pesto.
Lightly brown both sides in a heavy bottom skillet, using a combination of butter and olive oil, then finish in a 375F oven to get it perfectly melty and toasty without having the bread get too dark. Add fresh arugula after it comes out of the oven.
- Good sourdough or rustic bread
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- sliced summer tomatoes
- Butter and olive oil for the pan
Arugula Pesto ( makes one cup)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Make Arugula Pesto: Place garlic, almonds, basil and arugula in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, scraping down sides as necessary. (This recipe is intentionally a little salty and quite lemony if tasted on its own. It’s meant to flavor the sandwich, or could be tossed with pasta, or even mixed with a little mayo (or veganaise) for a flavorful sandwich spread.)
- Layer fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and arugula pesto between two slices of bread. Heat 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil in a heavy bottom oven proof skillet. Lightly crisp and brown each side, then place in the hot oven. Bake until cheese is completely melty, about 10 minutes.
- Add fresh arugula if you like!
- Calories: 550
Keywords: grilled cheese sandwich, arugula pesto, caprese grilled cheese sandwich,