Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Arugula Pesto- a toasty, melty grilled cheese sandwich with flavorful arugula pesto.
It occurs to me that I may be confusing to some of you with my sporadic not-so-healthy recipes thrown in every once in a while. But truthfully, this is how we do it around here. We eat pretty healthfully most of the time. Often our meals are vegan. Sometimes gluten free, and always full of nutritious, seasonal produce. But occasionally, we enjoy a good pizza, or a big bowl of ice cream. Or triple cream brie.
I decided a while back, after going through numerous spells of being vegan, or cutting out all sugar, or eliminating gluten, or juice fasting, that I was tired of labels and rules. Whenever I would deprive myself of something… I would end up wanting it even more. In general we try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible, and so when we feel like having something decadent, it’s totally fine, in moderation. This way there is no guilt, and I can actually enjoy it. I know this doesn’t work for everyone, but this is what we do. I really like the idea of Mark Bittman’s eating plan, “vegan before dinnertime“.
Arugula on its own can have a bitter quality. In this pesto, blend it with fresh basil or flat leaf parsley.
Begin layering your sandwich.
Lightly brown both sides in a heavy bottom skillet, using a combination of butter and olive oil, then finish in a 375F oven to get it perfectly melty and toasty without having the bread get too dark. Add fresh arugula after it comes out of the oven.
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Arugula Pesto
Grilled Caprese Sandwich with Arugula Pesto- a toasty, melty grilled cheese sandwich with flavorful arugula pesto.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Northwest
- Good sourdough or rustic bread
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- sliced summer tomatoes
- Butter and olive oil for the pan
Arugula Pesto ( makes one cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup smoked Almonds ( or toasted almonds, or pinenuts)
- 1 Cup packed Basil leaves( or flat leaf parsley)
- 2 Cups packed Arugula
- 1/3 C olive oil, plus 1 T
- 1/8 C fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (if your almonds are salted, use less)
- cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Make Arugula Pesto: Place garlic, almonds, basil and arugula in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, scraping down sides as necessary. (This recipe is intentionally a little salty and quite lemony if tasted on its own. It’s meant to flavor the sandwich, or could be tossed with pasta, or even mixed with a little mayo (or veganaise) for a flavorful sandwich spread.)
- Layer fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and arugula pesto between two slices of bread. Heat 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil in a heavy bottom oven proof skillet. Lightly crisp and brown each side, then place in the hot oven. Bake until cheese is completely melty, about 10 minutes.
- Add fresh arugula if you like!
- Calories: 550
Keywords: grilled cheese sandwich, arugula pesto, caprese grilled cheese sandwich,