Grilled Caprese Sandwich with Arugula Pesto- a toasty, melty grilled cheese sandwich with flavorful arugula pesto.
- Good sourdough or rustic bread
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- sliced summer tomatoes
- Butter and olive oil for the pan
Arugula Pesto ( makes one cup)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Make Arugula Pesto: Place garlic, almonds, basil and arugula in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined, scraping down sides as necessary. (This recipe is intentionally a little salty and quite lemony if tasted on its own. It’s meant to flavor the sandwich, or could be tossed with pasta, or even mixed with a little mayo (or veganaise) for a flavorful sandwich spread.)
- Layer fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and arugula pesto between two slices of bread. Heat 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil in a heavy bottom oven proof skillet. Lightly crisp and brown each side, then place in the hot oven. Bake until cheese is completely melty, about 10 minutes.
- Add fresh arugula if you like!
- Calories: 550
Keywords: grilled cheese sandwich, arugula pesto, caprese grilled cheese sandwich,