Vegan BBQ Sliders made with “pulled” Spaghetti Squash, Pickled Onions and Arugula- a simple, delicious and healthy alternative to pulled pork!
I realize these probably sound a little different, but believe it or not, they are actually good – smokey, tangy, slightly sweet and spicy. A play off the vegan jackfruit sliders that seem to be everywhere these days, spaghetti squash are a little more accessible and when roasted, offer up great “pulled” texture.
Quick pickled onions add a nice tangy kick and spicy arugula, a peppery bite. Make the pickled onions while the spaghetti squash is roasting. Use your favorite BBQ Sauce or make your own batch using this Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe.
Find the Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe here.
A delicious vegan appetizer that is full of flavor!
These Vegan BBQ Sliders with Pulled Spaghetti Squash also make a delicious dinner served on regular sized buns!
Happy Game Day!
Vegan BBQ Spaghetti Squash Sliders with Pickled Onions
A healthier appetizer or Superbowl Snack- BBQ Spaghetti Squash Sliders with Pickled Onions, and arugula.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12-16 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: SuperBowl App
- 1 medium spaghetti squash- halved
- 1 small red onion- thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup vinegar
- ⅓ water
- 1 clove garlic- smashed
- 3 tablespoons sugar – sub honey, or agave
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- ½–1 teaspoon peppercorns ( or add other whole spices- coriander, clove, allspice)
- 2–4 ounces baby arugula
- 1 cup flavorful bbq sauce (or more to taste)
- 12 –16 small slider buns
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Place Spaghetti squash cut side down on parchment lined baking sheet and bake until fork tender, about 35-45 minutes.
- Make the pickled red onions. Bring water and vinegar along with garlic, salt ,sugar and whole spices to a boil, stir until salt and sugar dissolves. Place sliced onion in the pot, submerging. For a more tender onion, simmer for few minutes before chilling, or for more crunchy, turn heat off immediately and cool in the fridge.
- When squash is done, scoop out its meat into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl, letting any liquid drain out for a few minutes. You want to get this DRY! Discard liquid, and place spaghetti sqaush in the bowl ( or pot) and season with salt and pepper. Add a generous amount of bbq sauce. You want this saucy! You could keep this warm in a pot on the stove over low heat, or serve immediately.
- Spoon a little BBQ Spaghetti Squash over a bun, top with pickled onions and arugula, and top with the bun lid. Serve right away.
You can make the BBQ Spaghetti squash ahead and reheat when ready to assemble. These are best served warm.
Keywords: vegan sliders, bbq sliders, spaghetti squash sliders,