Place herbs, garlic, spices and soaked garbanzo’s in a food processor and pulse until it forms a granular paste.
Form into patties, and refrigerate 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes.
For a crisper crust, pan fry in a greased cast iron skillet until golden and place in a warm oven until heated through.
Tzatziki Sauce can be made while falafel burgers are refrigerating.
Or make this Tahini Sauce and keep it totally vegan!
Quick pickled peppers can be made in minutes, or try making pickled red onions.
Coriander seeds and peppercorns give good flavor.
Vegan Falafel Burger with Tzatziki Sauce
Healthy Delicious Falafel Burger with your choice of Tzatziki Sauce or Tahini Sauce– a vegan, gluten free burger that is flavorful, healthy and filling!
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main, vegan, vegan burger
- Method: Baked or pan seared
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 C Italian parsley, tender stems ok (ok to use part cilantro)
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika ( optional)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 C dry garbanzo beans, soaked 24 hours, drained. Do not cook.
Optional Falafel Burger Garnishes:
- 1 Cup finely diced cucumber
- 1 Cup Greek style (thick) low fat plain yogurt – or non dairy yogurt – if using non-fat yogurt, you may need to add a T of olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- ¼ C chopped fresh herbs- Italian parsley, fresh dill, mint or cilantro
- pinch cayenne
- Soak the cup of chickpeas in a bowl of water 24 hours on the counter (make sure they are covered with water). Drain them really really well. If they are too wet, the burgers may not bind.
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients except garbanzo beans, until chopped and combined. Add garbanzo beans and pulse repeatedly, scraping down sides, until it sticks together, and forms a granular paste. (Do not blend until smooth.)
- Form 4 patties and place on parchment lined baking dish and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- If baking, pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Make tzatziki or Tahini Sauce and pickles ( see below)
- Either bake falafels in a hot oven, for 30 minutes, turning over ½ way through– or pan fry in a cast iron skillet with a generous amount of oil, until each side is golden, and finish heating through in a warm oven.
- To make Tzatziki:Fold all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make Quick Pickled Peppers or Red Onions: Place all ingredients in a small pot on the stove, bring to a boil. Simmer 3 minutes, refrigerate.
- Assemble burgers on toasted buns w/ tzatziki or tahini, sliced tomatoes, greens, pickled peppers or onions and lettuce.
- Calories: 385
Keywords: Falafel Burger, vegan falafel burger, chickpea burger, garbanzo bean burger, falafel burger recipe,