This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Place the herbs, garlic, spices and soaked, drained chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until it forms a granular paste.
Form into patties, compressing them tightly, and refrigerate 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes.
For a crisper crust, pan-sear in a greased cast-iron skillet until golden and place in a warm oven until heated through.
The flavorful Tzatziki Sauce can be made while falafel burgers are refrigerating.
Or make this Tahini Sauce and keep it totally vegan!
Quick pickled peppers can be made in minutes, or try making pickled onions!
Coriander seeds and peppercorns give good flavor.
Falafel Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Prep Time: 13 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 13 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main, vegan, vegan burger
- Method: Baked or pan-seared
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegetarian
Healthy Delicious Falafel Burgers with your choice of Tzatziki Sauce or vegan Tahini Sauce– a vegan, gluten-free burger that is flavorful, healthy and filling! Chickpeas require 12 hours of soaking time. DO NOT USED CANNED CHICKPEAS
- 1 cup dry garbanzo beans, soaked in water 12-24 hours, drained. Do not cook.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cilantro, tender stems ok
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Optional Falafel Burger Garnishes:
- Buns, Tzatziki Sauce, Tahini Sauce, Pickled onions or pickled peppers, sliced tomato, lettuce, crumbled feta
Quick Pickled Peppers :
- 1/2 cup vinegar- red wine, apple cider, or white
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8-10 little sweet peppers – sliced
- 1 tsp coriander or cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp whole peppercorn ( optional)
- 2 cloves sliced garlic (optional)
- Soak the cup of chickpeas in a bowl of water 12- 24 hours on the counter (make sure they are covered with water). Drain and blot dry.
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients except garbanzo beans, until chopped and combined. Add garbanzo beans and pulse repeatedly, scraping down sides, until it sticks together, and forms a granular paste. (Do not blend until smooth.)
- Form 4 patties with damp hands, compressing them tightly and place on parchment-lined baking dish and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- If baking, pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Make either tzatziki sauce or Tahini Sauce and optional pickled peppers ( see below)
- Either bake falafels in a hot oven, for 30 minutes, turning over ½ way through– or pan fry in a cast iron skillet with a generous amount of oil, until each side is golden, and finish heating through in a warm oven. ( See notes)
- To make Quick Pickled Peppers Place all ingredients in a small pot on the stove, bring to a boil. Simmer 3 minutes, refrigerate.
- Assemble burgers on toasted buns w/ tzatziki or tahini, sliced tomatoes, greens, pickled peppers or onions and lettuce.
When pan-searing falafel burgers, place them in a well-oiled skillet. Do not move or mess with them, until they form that deep golden crust, which, once there, will help the falafels naturally release from the pan. If you try to move or flip too early they may fall apart. Using a thin, metal spatula is ideal here, to help preserve that golden crust ( vs. a thinker plastic one).
- Serving Size: one falafel patty
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 483.8 mg
- Fat: 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.9 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 10.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: falafel burgers, falafel burgers recipe, Falafel Burger, vegan falafel burger, chickpea burger, garbanzo bean burger, falafel burger recipe,
Made these tonight and they came out great. Halved the recipe and fried in a little oil then finished off in the oven. Thanks for the recipe! Made Tahini sauce instead of Tzatziki.
Used this recipe http://www.inspiredtaste.net/27791/tahini-sauce-recipe/
So glad you enjoyed them!! Thanks!
This sounds really delicious and something new to try. Thank you for sharing this.
These falafel burgers look incredible. And I love your awesome photography of them! I definitely need to make the recipe for myself and my vegetarian family.
This looks unbelievable – so many flavors and textures. I’ve been wanting to make my own falafel, and now I have to give this a try!
LOVE Falafels… this looks amazing!
I swoon for a great falafel… I will have to try yours, they look fantastic♡
Mmm so much deliciousness going on here! These look lovely!
i’ve never tried making falafel but i have always been curious about it… now i feel like giving it a real shot! these look delicious!! 🙂
I have always wanted to eat falafels but once I ate them in a Kebab Restaurant and they were dry and it totally put me off. I would love to try to prepare them myself, sounds pretty easy!•The Health Blog for the Lazy Girl•
I love falafels!!! I think I’ll make these this weekend while the snow flies!