Place herbs, garlic, spices and soaked, drained chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until it forms a granular paste.
Form into patties, and refrigerate 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes.
For a crisper crust, pan-sear in a greased cast-iron skillet until golden and place in a warm oven until heated through.
The flavorfulTzatziki Sauce can be made while falafel burgers are refrigerating.
Or make this Tahini Sauce and keep it totally vegan!
Quick pickled peppers can be made in minutes, or try making pickled onions!
Coriander seeds and peppercorns give good flavor.
Falafel Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Prep Time: 13 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 13 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main, vegan, vegan burger
- Method: Baked or pan seared
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 C Italian parsley, tender stems ok (ok to use part cilantro)
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika ( optional)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 C dry garbanzo beans, soaked 24 hours, drained. Do not cook.
Optional Falafel Burger Garnishes:
- Buns, Tzatziki Sauce, Tahini Sauce, Pickled onions or pickled peppers, sliced tomato, lettuce, crumbled feta
Quick Pickled Peppers :
- Soak the cup of chickpeas in a bowl of water 12- 24 hours on the counter (make sure they are covered with water). Drain them really really well. If they are too wet, the burgers may not bind.
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients except garbanzo beans, until chopped and combined. Add garbanzo beans and pulse repeatedly, scraping down sides, until it sticks together, and forms a granular paste. (Do not blend until smooth.)
- Form 4 patties and place on parchment lined baking dish and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- If baking, pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Make either tzatziki sauce or Tahini Sauce and optional pickled peppers ( see below)
- Either bake falafels in a hot oven, for 30 minutes, turning over ½ way through– or pan fry in a cast iron skillet with a generous amount of oil, until each side is golden, and finish heating through in a warm oven. ( See notes)
- To make Quick Pickled Peppers Place all ingredients in a small pot on the stove, bring to a boil. Simmer 3 minutes, refrigerate.
- Assemble burgers on toasted buns w/ tzatziki or tahini, sliced tomatoes, greens, pickled peppers or onions and lettuce.
When pan-searing falafel burgers, place them in a well-oiled skillet. Do not move or mess with them, until they form that deep golden crust, which, once there, will help the falafels naturally release from the pan. If you try to move or flip too early they may fall apart. Using a thin, metal spatula is ideal here, to help preserve that golden crust ( vs. a thinker plastic one).
- Calories: 385
Keywords: falafel burgers, falafel burgers recipe, Falafel Burger, vegan falafel burger, chickpea burger, garbanzo bean burger, falafel burger recipe,