This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
Looking for a light and healthy summer salad? This quick & easy Cucumber Tomato Salad is fresh and light, made with vine-ripe tomatoes, juicy cucumbers, slivers of red onion, and fresh dill, and tossed in a red-wine vinaigrette.
Tomato Cucumber Salad signifies summer. You can make this any time of year, but it is a completely different experience with summer-ripened produce. The tomatoes and cucumbers are extra flavorful, juicy and sweet, the red onion has just the right touch of heat and fresh dill is abundant. We let the veggies shine and dress them simply with good olive oil and a nice red wine vinegar. So easy!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad is fast and EASY! It all comes together within minutes.
- It is the perfect taste of Summer and a great way to enjoy garden tomatoes and cucumbers.
- It pairs well with a variety of flavors- perfect for potlucks, gatherings and barbecues.
- It is healthy, light and nutritious!
Ingredients In Cucumber Tomato Salad
Cucumber Salad Ingredient Notes
- Cucumbers- thin-skinned, seedless cucumbers make this super easy; no need to peel. Try English cucumbers, Persian or Turkish Cucumbers.
- Tomatoes- juicy vine-ripened tomatoes for sweet summer flavor- cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, roma tomatoes, Campari, or heirloom tomatoes.
- Red Onions– for a delcious bite and gorgeous color.
- Fresh herbs– dill adds so much fresh flavor, or sub fresh parsley or fresh basil.
- Olive Oil- the dressing is simple and will get the best flavor from a good quality olive oil.
- Red Wine Vinegar– or sub sherry vinegar, or a lighter vinegar like champagne vinegar or white balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. You could even use lemon juice if you prefer.
- Optional additions: feel free to toss in your favorite cheeses (feta cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella balls, etc), avocado, or other vegetables.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Step One- In a large bowl toss together the red onion with red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let this sit for at least 5 minutes while you chop the cucumbers and tomatoes. This will tenderize and tame the onions a bit.
Step Two- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl-mix and serve, or place in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours.
This salad is delicious chilled or remove from the fridge 20 minutes prior to serving.
Tomato Cucumber Salad FAQS
Yes, it is so fresh, full of nutrients, high in vitamin C, and a great source of lycopene.
Slicing cucumbers, such as English, Armenian, Turkish, and Persian, have thinner skin, a higher sugar content, and do not contain the bitter compound cucurbitacin that is present in the common garden cucumber. The peel is tender and the seeds are soft and easy to eat, making it perfect for quick slicing and adding to fresh for salads and sandwiches.
Red onions are great for salads, especially garden fresh, they have just the right bite, sweet balance and crunchy texture. If they are strong, soaking in the salad dressing for 5 minutes helps take the hot edge off.
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.Print
Looking for a light and healthy summer salad? This quick & easy Cucumber Tomato Salad is fresh and light, made with vine-ripe tomatoes and juicy cucumbers, slivers of red onion, and fresh dill, tossed in a red-wine vinaigrette. Vegan.
- 1 small red onion or about 3/4 cup, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (good quality extra virgin)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 English cucumber, about 2 1/2 cups, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2–3 small tomatoes, 2 1/2 cups, cut into bite-sized pieces (or sub cherry tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix together the red onion with red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let this sit at least 5 minutes while you chop the cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl- tomatoes, cucumbers, and dill.
- Mix and serve.
Thin-skinned, seedless cucumbers make this super easy, no need to peel.
The Salad can be made a few hours before (wait to add dill) and refrigerated. Add dill right before serving.
Leftovers will keep up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 75
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 147.3 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 6.6 mg
Keywords: cucumber tomato salad, cucumber and tomato salad, tomato cucumber salad, cucumber and tomatoes salad recipe,