This 15 Minute, Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is FAST, FLAVORFUL & sooooo EASY! A rich fragrant broth w/ either shrimp, tofu or chicken!
Spring showers have been here, making everything exceptionally bright and green and lush. On rainy spring days like we’ve had these past few weeks, all I want to do is wrap myself up in a cozy blanket, curl up with a good book and slurp soup. Preferably with a little heat and some kind of noodle.
This 15 Minute Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is called Khao Soi, and hails from the Northern part of Thailand where the weather stays a bit cooler. It’s a godsend when time is short, or you are feeling a bit lazy, yet you crave something warm and spicy. The coconut broth is fragrant and rich, coating the noodles well. And once the flavorful base is made, what you put in the soup is very adaptable. Today I’ve added prawns – but it’s delicious with tofu or chicken too, or even just veggies.
THAI COCONUT CURRY NOODLE SOUP (Khao Soi)
A flavorful and very addicting Northern Style Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup, called Khao Soi. Easy and fast, and so yummy.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: Main, soup, seafood
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Northern Thailand
- 4 ounces dry rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste (store bought), more for more spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric – optional
- pinch cardamom- optional
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (or use water and one chicken bouillon cube)
- 1 thinly sliced red bell pepper (optional- sub other veggies)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons brown sugar, palm sugar or alternative substitute
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (Sambal Olek)
- 8 oz. raw, peeled and deveined prawns ( or pan-seared cubes of tofu, or very thinly sliced raw chicken- or leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 1 lime
- Garnish with fresh basil or cilantro, bean sprouts, scallions, or thinly sliced red onions.
- Place noodles in a shallow baking dish and boil enough water to just cover them. While water is boiling, prep the shallots, ginger, garlic, red bell pepper, then get all other ingredients ready by the stove.
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and ginger. Saute until fragrant and golden, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and red curry paste. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and broth and bring to a simmer, stirring. Once gently simmering add the bell pepper, soy, fish sauce, sugar and chili garlic sauce.
- Add the prawns and gently simmer until cooked. Give a generous squeeze of lime. Taste, adding more lime / or salt if necessary.
- Drain the noodles. If serving the soup immediately, toss the noodles right into the pot and then serve.
- Alternatively, divide noodles into the bowls and ladel the flavorful soup over top.
- Garnish with fresh basil, bean sprouts, thinly sliced red onion and chopped scallions.
To bump up the flavorful coconut broth even more, add a 4 inch piece of lemongrass (smashed) a few slices of galangal or a couple kefir lime leaves ( all optional)
Feel free to make the soup the day before and keep in the fridge, keeping the noodles separate ( they will swell in the soup) and simply reheat.
To bump up the heat, add more red chili paste or or chili sauce.
Keywords: curry noodles, thai noodle soup, thai curry noodles, THAI COCONUT CURRY NOODLE SOUP, Khao Soi, thai curry noodles