Khao Soi is a rich fragrant Coconut Curry Noodle Soup that hails from Northern Thailand. This FAST, FLAVORFUL & EASY version can be made with w/ either shrimp, crispy tofu or chicken! Vegan-adaptable, GF. Video!
No Matter how hard the past, you can always begin again. ~Buddha
This 15-Minute Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is called Khao Soi, and hails from the Northern part of Thailand (Chiang Mai) where the weather stays a bit cooler. It’s a godsend when time is short, or you are feeling a bit lazy, yet you crave something warm, rich and spicy.
The coconut broth is fragrant and rich, coating the noodles well. And once the flavorful base is made, what you put in the soup is very adaptable. Today I’ve added prawns – but it’s delicious with crispy tofu or chicken too, or even just veggies.
How to Make Khao Soi! | 30-sec video
Spring showers have been here, making everything exceptionally bright and green and lush. On rainy spring days like we’ve had these past few weeks, all I want to do is wrap myself up in a cozy blanket, curl up with a good book and slurp soup. Preferably with a little heat and some kind of noodle.
Ingredients in Khao Soi
- rice noodles
- coconut oil, peanut oil or olive oil
- Thai Red Curry Paste (store-bought, I like this brand), more for spicier
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- cardamom– optional
- coconut milk
- chicken stock or veggie broth
- kefir lime leaves
- red bell pepper (optional- sub other veggies)
- fish sauce– or vegan fish sauce
- soy sauce (perhaps reduce if using vegan fish sauce, or use to taste)
- brown sugar, palm sugar or an alternative substitute
- chili garlic sauce (Sambal Olek)
- shrimp or prawns (or sub crispy tofu, or raw, thinly sliced chicken- or leftover baked chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- Optional Garnishes: fresh basil (Thai basil is best!), pickled mustard Greens (traditional), crispy ramen noodles, cilantro, bean sprouts, lime wedge, thinly sliced red onions or scallions.
Variations of Khao Soi
- You can make this Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup vegan by using crispy tofu and vegan fish sauce, and swapping out veggie stock for the chicken stock. You can add more veggies to the broth.
- You can make this chicken breast or chicken thighs
- Or Make this with shrimp.
- Instead of shrimp, you can add fish.
- Traditional Khao Soi is often topped with crispy fried noodles and pickled mustard greens as a garnish which you can pick up at Asian Markets. The pickled mustard is especially nice here.
How to Garnish Khao Soi
- pickled mustard greens or stems (traditional)
- crispy ramen noodles (traditional)
- cilantro or Thai basil
- Lime wedges
- Bean sprouts
So comforting and flavorful!
Noodles in Thai Coconut Curry Soup
More Thai recipes you may like:
- Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup
- Easy to Make Pad Thai with Chicken Shrimp or Tofu
- Authentic Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Thai Green Curry with Vegetables
- Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken
- Thai Burrito with Peanut Sauce
- 20 Delicious Thai Recipes!