This glowing bowl of Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup is infused with lemongrass, chilies and basil. Vibrant broccolini and tofu (or chicken) simmer gently in the broth before it’s ladled over rice noodles, then topped with crunchy bean sprouts, scallions, basil and lime wedges. This simple, soul-warming soup is a feast for the senses!
To simplify things, I’ve use store-bought Green Curry Paste, which allows the recipe to be made in 20-25 minutes. Of course, you can make the flavorful homemade green curry paste from scratch, perhaps on a Sunday, as part of your meal prep for the week. It’s just a matter of pulsing the ingredients together in a food processor, it’s not time-consuming and surprisingly easy. It just requires the gathering of ingredients. The homemade paste will produce a much more vibrantly colored broth. But if you don’t want to go there (no judgment), this store-bought paste works just fine and in the recipe there is a little tip to help brighten up the broth, giving it the vibrant green color you see here. Either way I think you will like it.
Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup | 60-second video
There has been much talk of coconut milk lately. A year ago it was considered “good” for you, and apparently, now it’s considered very “bad”. Personally, I choose the middle way . . . everything in moderation. Do I eat it every day? No. But I don’t villainize it. After all, it is ultimately a plant, grown from the earth, and a main staple in many healthy cultures and diets around the world. Do as you see fit.
As the flavorful broth simmers, cook the rice noodles and get the bowls ready.
Have I ever told you how much I love Thailand? If you ever get a hankering to go to Southeast Asia, Thailand should be your first stop. Not only is the food fresh and flavorful, the people are truly amazing. Find an island and let the relaxing healing energy sink deep into you. Take a local cooking class, go to the local food markets, and really get in there and experience it. Meander and explore. Talk to people and see if you can make a connection- the best part about travel.
Then pour the broth over top
Bone-warming, Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup – with broccolini and your choice of tofu or chicken. A feast for the senses!
Here are a few more Thai-inspired soups you may enjoy!
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken
- 20 Delicious Thai Recipes!
- 15-Minute Thai Coconut Noodles
Thai Green Curry Noodle Soup – a simple easy dinner recipe loaded up with healthy veggies and your choice of chicken of tofu.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–2 extra fat shallot, finely diced
- ¼–½ cup green curry paste (start conservatively, or make your own below)
- 4 cups chicken or veggie broth
- optional additions(nice if using jarred curry paste) – 4 inch stock of lemongrass, smashed, 3-4 slices galangal, 4-6 kefir lime leaves
- 8 ounces optional chicken breast, sliced into ¼ inch thin strips (or use left-over rotisserie chicken), or use crispy tofu (see notes)
- 8 ounces broccolini – cut in half lengthwise
- 1 x 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 2–4 teaspoons fish sauce ( or vegan fish sauce,)
- juice from half a lime, more to taste
- ¼–½ cup basil leaves (packed)
6-8 ounces dry rice noodles, cooked according to directions on package.
Garnish with bean sprouts, lime wedges, scallions and fresh basil ( Thai basil is especially nice here)
- 6–8 green chilies– jalapeño or serrano or a mix, seeded
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 shallot, sliced
- 3 x 4 inch pieces lemongrass, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup galangal root, thinly sliced, peels ok
- ¼ cup ginger, thinly sliced, peels ok
- 3 scallions
- ½ a bunch cilantro, including stems
- 3 kefir lime leaves or 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To make the green curry paste, slice everything thinly, especially lemongrass, ginger and galangal -and place in a food processor until very finely minced into a paste. Store up to a week in the fridge or freeze.
- Heat oil in a medium pot, over medium heat and sauté the shallot until golden. Add the curry paste and saute 1-2 minutes. Add the broth and bring it to a simmer and any optional additions. ***If using a jarred green curry paste I like to add a 4 inch stock of lemongrass -smashed, 3 slices galangal, 3-4 kefir lime leaves.
- Add the broccolini and chicken (if using) and simmer until the broccoli is just tender and bright green and chicken is cooked through. Stir in the coconut milk and if using tofu, add this now.
- Add the fish sauce and lime juice.
- To brighten up the soup -Place 1 cup of the coconut broth into a blender with the fresh basil and blend well until until bright green.
- When you are ready to serve the soup, heat the soup up and pour the basil broth mixture into the broth, simmer briefly(no longer than 30 seconds) and turn the heat off ( to preserve the vibrant green color) Taste and adjust lime, salt and heat. Feel free to add more green chili paste to taste.
- You want a slightly salty broth knowing it will mellow substantially when poured over the noodles.
- Divide the noodles among 3-4 bowls. Pour the flavorful broth overtop. Garnish with bean sprouts, lime wedges, scallions & chili flakes.
If cooking for mixed households, feel free to cook tofu and chicken separate from the broth and just place them into the bowls (not the pot of soup) then pour broth over top.
Leftover rotisserie chicken works great here as well as crispy tofu.
Keywords: thai soup, green curry, thai green curry, green curry noodles, curry noodle soup, coconut curry recipes, thai soup recipes