How to make authentic Thai Green Curry Paste from scratch in just 15 minutes! Can be made ahead and any leftovers can be frozen for another use- perfect for Sunday meal prep. Vegan adaptable!
There are still a few of you out there who enjoy visiting the Asian Market and making Thai recipes from scratch. This fragrant, flavorful and authentic Thai Green Curry Paste is just for you! Use it in this Thai Green Curry Recipe that can be made with tofu, chicken or shrimp!
Once you have all the ingredients in hand, it is fast, easy work! Yes, the hardest part is just taking the time to go to the Asian market. Which I know is not convenient for everyone, and trust me, I actually do stock store-bought green curry paste in my pantry and have no problem using it. (This is my favorite brand.)
But if you are like me, and like to learn new things and enjoy outings and making things from scratch, you will love this recipe for homemade green curry paste- it is so much fun!
What is green curry paste made of?
- green chilies – like serranos or Thai chilies ( very hot, see recipe notes)
- kefir lime leaves
- Thai basil or cilantro
- shrimp paste– optional but really delicious!
how to make green curry paste from scratch?
- Prep the ingredients, chopping them into smaller pieces.
- Place in the food processor and blend into a fine paste.
- freeze any leftovers for another use!
When I go to the Asian market, I have this list with me that you can print out if you want. I often purchase frozen chopped lemongrass, frozen galangal ( or fresh, then freeze the rest in smaller slices) and frozen lime leaves– that way I always have them on hand when I need them- and just pull out them out of the freezer. Easy peasy.
And there you have it! So easy.
- When using homemade green curry paste-like in Thai Curries, you will need a little more than store-bought brands that are very concentrated in flavor. Add a few EXTRA tablespoons than the recipe calls for.
- Always, fry the paste in oil which will add depth and enhance the beautiful flavor before adding any liquid or coconut milk. THIS IS KEY!
I love how vibrant and green the paste is! So Beautiful! A perfect base for all your Thai curry dreams.
Give this a go and please let me know what you think in the comments below.
More Thai recipes you may like:
- 30-Minute Thai Green Curry
- Thai Fish Curry
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Instant Pot Thai Curry Chicken
- 20 Delicious Easy Thai Recipes!
How to make authentic Green Curry Paste from scratch in just 15 minutes. Can be made ahead and frozen- perfect for meal prep. Vegan adaptable.
- 2–4 serrano chiles, rough chopped, de-stemmed, seeds ok (or use more- 3 is perfect, “medium spicy”-see notes)
- 1 large shallot, rough chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks (white tender parts) – thinly sliced then finely chopped ( 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons galangal, finely chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (optional- you can add whole leaves directly to the curry if you prefer)
- 5 fat garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (toasted and crushed, or sub ground coriander)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 cup packed fresh Thai basil leaves or cilantro ( this adds beautiful color)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive or peanut oil
- 2–3 teaspoons shrimp sauce or paste (optional, but really elevates this- see recipe notes.)
This makes 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (perfect or two batches of Thai Green curry) Save 1/2 for another use – you can refirgerate for 4 days, or freeze! Seal it well with no air pockets so it keeps its color)
- Make sure to fry the paste in oil to add depth and intensity of flavor before adding any liquid.
- You may need to use a little more than a recipe calls for (store-bought green curry paste in a jar is often more concentrated and sometimes contains msg to boost flavor).
- You can also use add a couple spicy Thai green chilies but use a light hand- they are HOTTTTT.
- If you leave out the shrimp paste you will need to increase the salt, or fish sauce in the final curry recipe. You could also try adding a few anchovies or anchovy paste. Using the shrimp paste really really elevates the this and brings this to the next level. So I highly recommend it!!!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 86
- Sugar: 2.1 g
- Sodium: 40.6 mg
- Fat: 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0.6 mg
Keywords: green curry paste, how to make green curry paste from scratch, recipe for green curry paste, homemade green curry paste, thai green curry