How to make authentic Green Curry Paste from scratch in just 15 minutes. Can be made ahead and frozen- perfect for meal prep. Vegan adaptable.
- 2–4 serrano chiles, rough chopped, de-stemmed, seeds ok (or use more- 3 is perfect, “medium spicy”-see notes)
- 2 medium shallots, rough chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks (tender parts) – thinly sliced then finely chopped ( 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons galangal, finely chopped
- 2–4 kefir lime leaves ( optional- you can add whole leaves directly to the curry if you prefer)
- 5 fat garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds (toasted and crushed, or sub ground coriander)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper ( optional)
- 1 cup packed fresh Thai basil leaves or cilantro ( this adds beautiful color)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive or peanut oil
- 2–3 teaspoons shrimp sauce or paste (optional, but really elevates this- see recipe notes.)
This makes 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (perfect or two batches of Thai Green curry) Save 1/2 for another use – you can refirgerate for 4 days, or freeze! Seal it well with no air pockets so it keeps its color)
- Make sure to fry the paste in oil to add depth and intensity of flavor before adding any liquid.
- You may need to use a little more than a recipe calls for (store-bought green curry paste in a jar is often more concentrated and sometimes contains msg to boost flavor).
- You can also use add a couple spicy Thai green chilies but use a light hand- they are HOTTTTT.
- If you leave out the shrimp paste you will need to increase the salt, or fish sauce in the final curry recipe. You could also try adding a few anchovies or anchovy paste. Using the shrimp paste really really elevates the this and brings this to the next level. So I highly recommend it!!!
Keywords: green curry paste, how to make green curry paste from scratch, recipe for green curry paste, homemade green curry paste, thai green curry