This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy.
A simple recipe for Grilled Zucchini with Zaatar, garlic and lemon. Serve it with tzatziki or yogurt for extra richness, Full of flavor, delicious and healthy!
Meet my absolute favorite way to cook and eat zucchini! This flavor-packed recipe for Grilled Zucchini with Zaatar, garlic, lemon and optional Tzatziki is so simple, yet so utterly delicious… I never ever tire of it!
A clear sign that summer is truly at its peak, is the overwhelming abundance of zucchini and summer squash showing up in our CSA boxes, farmers markets and gardens. The challenge is always, what to do with all of them!
A lovely addition to your Middle Eastern Spread!
How to make Grilled Zucchini with Zaatar
Step one: Slice two pounds of zucchini or summer squash into 1/3- 1/2-inch thick disks.
Tip: To make it easier to grill, cut on the diagonal…this will make the slices a little larger so they won’t fall through the grates.
Step 2: Place the Zucchini in a large bowl and toss with the zaatar, salt, garlic and olive oil, so each piece is lightly coated.
Step 3: Place on a preheated grill.
Step 5: Give it a good char! Then Place on a platter and cover with foil until cooked through.
Step 6: Squeeze with lemon, a light drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkling of Aleppo chili flakes, a scattering of flat-leaf parsley or cilantro and serve with Tzatziki or yogurt. I like adding a few garden tomatoes for color.
I hope you enjoy the Zaatar Grilled Zucchini as much as we have! It is delcious with so many things!
What to serve with Zaatar Grilled Zucchini:
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Easy Grilled Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- Lemony Lebanese Tabouli (Tabbouleh)
- Authentic Baba Ganoush (Grilled or Baked!)
- Zaatar Meatballs with Green Tahini Sauce
- Authentic Falafel Recipe with Creamy Tahini Sauce
Grilled Zucchini with Zaatar
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: grilled
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 lbs zucchini (or summer squash)
- 1–2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Zaatar spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Garnish w/ flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, a squeeze of lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, baby tomatoes, aleppo Chili pepper.
Serve with tzatziki sauce or yogurt for extra richness (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Slice the zucchini on the diagonal, into 1/3- inch thick slices and place into a large bowl. Drizzle w/ olive oil, sprinkle w/ salt and zaatar spice, and add the finely minced garlic. Using tongs or your hands, toss to combine until each piece is well coated.
- Place zucchini on the hot grill using tongs. Close the lid and give a good sear, about 5 minutes. When there are good grill marks, turn them over, grill for 4-5 more minutes. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, grill until cooked through.
- When cooked to desired tenderness, place zucchini on a platter and cover with foil for 5-10 minutes, so they become even more tender.
- Serve with optional yogurt or Tzatziki, a squeeze of lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, optional Aleppo chili flakes, a few cherry tomatoes ( or color), a sprinkling of Italian parsley (or cilantro or microgreens).
- Serving Size: 1.25 cups- without yogurt
- Calories: 65
- Sugar: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 596.6 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grilled zucchini, grilled zucchini with zaatar, zaatar zucchini,
Can I do this in the oven?
Hi Karen- I don’t see why not? But I haven’t tried it. Let me know how it does, will ya?
It was delicious! I roasted them in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 and I turned halfway through.
OK perfect- great to hear, thanks for reporting back!
We have so many zucchini fresh from our garden. Thank you for this great recipe! It’s on the menu for this evenings dinner!
I made this with zucchini and eggplant! Excellent! Thank you
What is not to like! Quick, easy, delicious, and nutritious. I grew up eating Lebanese food so use Za’atar on many foods. On toast each morning too! Thank you.
Could I prep (marinate) this the night before and just place on the grill the next day or will it get too soggy? Can’t wait to try it! I’ve tried several of your recipes so far and they’re delicious!
Thanks Aashoo- Yes, that would work fine!
My son -in -law is Lebanese. He gave me jar of zaatar. It was in my pantry for a year and then I have seen this recipe. It is so good. Though, I would skip tomatoes. In my opinion, it just doesn”t go together.
Excellent and easy!!
I may never eat zucchini any other way ever again! Like all of your recipes – a flavor punch that elevates a humble ingredient! The best!
Simple, quick recipe, packed full of flavour. Had this in my lunch box, it didn’t disappoint will definitely make this again.
Well I love za-atar and anything Middle-Eastern, and zucchini on the barbecue is one of my favourite summer dishes.. so definitely making this!! Looks so beautiful with yogurt and fresh tomatoes too.
My goodness, what beautiful pictures! I’m such a huge fan of za’atar, (I love it on my morning avocado toast) so this sounds heavenly to me! What an elegant recipe!
Thanks Sydney…appreciate it!!