Packed with nutritious ingredients, this Chickpea Quinoa Veggie Burger is full of savory delicious flavor and satisfying texture. Great with a variety of toppings.
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed (or regular quinoa)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 15 oz canned chickpeas (1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup pecans (sub walnuts, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons stoneground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire (I like the vegan Wizard brand)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan add quinoa, Braggs, sage, oregano, garlic cloves and water. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, set aside without lifting the lid!
- While quinoa is cooking, place drained chickpeas, mushrooms, carrots and onion on a baking tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Slide into the preheated oven, and roast for 20 minutes. Let cool at least 5 minutes.
- In a food processor pulse pecans to a coarse meal, scoop out and set aside.
- Without cleaning out the processor add roasted chickpeas, veggies, tomato paste, dijon, Worcestershire, egg, salt and pepper. Pulse just enough to adhere mixture leaving small chunks of veggies is good. This just takes a handful of pulses, you want some texture.
- Mix together ground pecans with veggie chickpea mixture and quinoa.
- Form into 6 patties abound 4.5 ounces each.
- Bake on a parchment-lined sheet pan, in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Up to this step can all be done up to two days ahead refrigerating the baked burgers in a sealed container.
- To serve pan sear with oil until deep golden crisp on the outside and warm through. Enjoy with your favorite condiments.
Meal Prep: Make these ahead (bake ahead) for meal prep and store in the fridge or freezer to use throughout the week.
Vegan Adaption: Substitute a flax egg for the egg. ( 1 Tablespoon ground flax meal mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water)
For optimal “holding together power”, let the burgers rest about a half hour to set up after baking before pan frying. For optimal texture, make them a day ahead and refrigerate, frying cold directly out of the fridge seems to help them bind together more.
- Serving Size: 1 burger
Keywords: veggie burger, chickpea burger, chickpea quinoa burger, quinoa burger, the best veggie burger