Here’s a healthy delicious recipe for Banana Bread that makes good use of your sourdough starter (or discard) and is VEGAN! It’s moist and flavorful, fresh ginger and sesame seeds give it a unique twist!
I have a confession. I think this may be the first banana bread I’ve ever made! It’s my friend Tonia’s recipe and turned out wonderfully flavorful and moist and makes good use of the sourdough starter (or discard) we both have in our fridge.
If you dont have sourdough starter, not to worry, just see the recipe notes.
What I love about this Banana Bread recipe is the beautiful Sesame Seed Crust.
To make the crust, oil a loaf and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Make the banana bread vegan if you like by adding “flax eggs”. Here we used ground flax seeds and water.
Use 3/4 of a cup of sour dough starter.
And 1 cup of ripe, mashed bananas.
Fresh grated ginger gives the Banana Bread and nice flavor- feel free to add a little more for extra punch.
Mix it all together into a thick batter. Feel free to add nuts if you like.
My husband likes walnuts but do as you please.
And bake in a 350F oven for 50-55 minutes.
Remove the Banana Bread from the pan and behold the lovely crust!
Make the Maple Tahini Sauce for drizzling. It is seriously good.
Slice up the banana bread, toast it if you like and drizzle on the sauce.
Whether you have sourdough starter to use up or not, we think you’ll love this Vegan Banana Bread!
Flax eggs (optional, or sub 2 large eggs)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup water
Loaf Pan Prep: (optional, or sub parchment)
- 1 cup (3–4 bananas) ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup oil, (avocado oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil or other )
- ¾ cup sourdough starter discard (or see notes for substitution)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, freshly grated (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups (250 grams) flour, all-purpose
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Optional tasty additions: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or other nuts), 1 banana (for the top, not too ripe) and brown sugar for sprinkling, 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Tahini Maple Spread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Make the Flax Eggs: Mix the flax seeds and water in a small bowl, set aside.
- Prep Loaf Pan: Oil a 9 x 5 loaf pan with the teaspoon of oil. Sprinkle sesame seeds in pan on top of the oil, shake pan around so they are coating the bottom and sides fairly evenly. Set pan aside.
- WET: In a large bowl, whisk mashed banana, oil, sourdough starter (see notes) , maple syrup, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and flax mixture together until well blended.
- DRY: In a small bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda
- Combine: Add flour mixture to wet and stir to just combined. Pour into the prepared pan ( see notes for adding whole banana slices to the top) and place on a middle rack in a preheated oven.
- Bake on the middle rack at 350F for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Toast slices of day old banana bread and lavishly spread with Tahini Maple Spread (optional, but heavenly)
Tahini Maple Spread:
- Mix all ingredients together in small bowl until smooth and creamy.
Feel free to use 2 real eggs instead of flax eggs.
Feel free to add nuts, seeds, chocolate chips or nibs to the batter.
To add sliced banana to the top, cut an unpeeled banana in half lengthwise (not too ripe) remove peel and nestle in the batter. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Keywords: Vegan Banana bread, healthy banana bread, sourdough banana bread, sourdough discard recipes, vegan banana bread recipes,