This healthy wholesome Zucchini Bread is tender and full of flavor. Made with whole wheat pastry flour and coconut sugar with a touch of orange and rosemary, packing a whole pound of zucchini in one loaf!
Sit and be still, until in the time of no rain you hear beneath the dry wind’s commotion in the trees the sound of flowing water among the rocks, a stream unheard before, and you are where breathing is prayer. ~ Wendell Berry
It is that time of year when the zucchini is coming on strong. Gardens are overflowing with produce. It is really amazing and somewhat daunting to process all the abundance available! It was my goal to try to pack as much zucchini in one loaf as is reasonable.
This zucchini bread just has a touch of sweetness and a bright balance from the orange zest. The whole wheat pasry flour gives an earthy deeper flavor. Fresh rosemary is subtle but adds that herby dimension that I love. Tucking herbs into food just elevates that green lively flavor plus there is a whole host of nutrients that fresh herbs add!
Ingredients in Zucchini Bread:
- whole wheat pastry flour
- coconut sugar
- baking powder and baking soda
- sea salt
- cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg
- orange zest and juice
- fresh rosemary
- avocado oil
- pecans or walnuts
How to make Zucchini Bread:
Step one: Grate zucchini and set aside in a colander or strainer.
Step two: Measure dry ingredients into a bowl.
Tip: Using a scale to weigh the flour is going to help so much with the texture of your finished zucchini loaf!
Step three: Whisk together the orange juice, eggs, oil and vanilla.
Step four: If needed, squeeze out some of the excess moisture in the zucchini. Some zucchini’s are wetter than others. You want to have some moisture, just not dripping.
Discard the zucchini juice or throw it in your smoothie!
Step Five: Mix grated pressed zucchini into the egg mixture.
Step Six: Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients along with the toasted nuts. I leave the pecans whole. They will slice up right along with the bread.
Step Seven: Pour into prepare baking pan. Place in preheated oven. Set timer for 50 minutes.
Check for doneness- clean toothpick test or better yet- test with a thermometer -200 degrees internal temperature will assure the bread is cooked.
More delicious zucchini recipes you may love!
- Baked Zucchini Tian
- Quick Pickled Zucchini and Summer Squash
- Mediterranean Farro Salad w/ Marinated Zucchini and Chickpeas
- Zucchini Cornbread
- Zucchini Hummus
- Zucchini Fritters with Feta and Dill
This healthy zucchini bread is delicious for days, especially toasted!
Hope you enjoy!Print
- 3 1/2 cups zucchini, 1 lb grated zucchini, about 350 grams when squeezed
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, 240 grams
- 1 cup coconut sugar (see note on sugar)
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, or walnuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment or oil.
- Grate the zucchini set aside.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, rosemary, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl whisk orange juice (squeezed from the orange you zested), oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Gently squeeze out excess moisture from zucchini. This works well in a dish towel or just press in a colander.
- Mix together with the egg mixture. Add flour ingredients mix until just combined. Add nuts, leaving them whole if desired, they will get chopped up as you slice the finished loaf.
- Pour batter into your pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes until done. The middle should read 200 degrees on a thermometer.
Freezes well! Let cool completely, seal completely in plastic wrap. Keeps “fresh” in freezer at least up to 6 months.
Keywords: Zucchini Bread, how to make zucchini Bread,