Mediterranean Farro Salad with Marinated Zucchini and Chickpeas tossed in a tangy lemony dressing with fresh mint, parsley and oregano. Top with optional feta, or keep it vegan!
A simple, delicious Farro Salad you are going to be very glad to see in your fridge when you need a quick and satisfying lunch. It is bright and clean and so nourishing – you’ll be so happy with yourself for making it the night before!
Here we’ve paired it with thinly sliced raw zucchini that gets “cooked” in a marinade while the farro simmers on the stove. It’s loaded up with fresh herbs with a tangy lemony dressing. Chickpeas add a satisfying heartiness to the salad, adding both fiber and protein, turning into a meal.
Feel free to add feta or keep it vegan.
This pairs nicely with other Mediterranean dishes and is the perfect addition to outdoor gatherings.
The recipes starts with cooking the pearled farro.
What is Farro?
- Farro is an ancient grain (which means it is largely unchanged over the last several hundred years). It has been traced back to early Mesopotamia! This grain is packed with nutrients, low in gluten, and has a pleasant chewy texture and nutty flavor.
- There are 3 main types of farro: whole grain, semi-pearled and pearled farro (most typically found in grocery stores). Today we are using pearled farro, the quickest cooking out of the three. It takes only 20 minutes to cook! Of course, you can use any of the three, but cooking times will vary- so be sure to cook according to your package directions.
While the farro is cooking you’ll cut and marinate the zucchini along with the chickpeas and onions in the dressing.
Slice into thin half-moons. You’ll need about 2 cups.
Then prep the remaining ingredients.
Here we are using fresh parsley, mint, oregano, garlic and lemon zest.
Use both the zest and juice from the lemon.
Give this Mediterranian Farro Salad with Marinate Zucchini and Chickpeas a try this week and let us know what you think in the comments below!
More recipes you may like:
- Farro Tabbouleh Salad
- Toasted Farro with Pear, Hazelnuts and Arugula
- Kale Farro Salad with Almonds and Pomegranate
- Pickled Cherry and Farro Salad
- Farro Salad with Beets and their Tops
- Farro Bowl with Kale & Figs
- Roasted Cauliflower Kale & Farro Salad with Turmeric Dressing
- Farro Risotto with Acorn Squash
- 50 Farmers Market Recipes!
Mediterranean Farro Salad with Marinated Zucchini & Chickpeas, fresh herbs and optional feta, tossed a simple lemony dressing.
- 1 ½ cups (270grams) pearled farro (see notes)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pound zucchini, thinly sliced into half-moons, about ¼” thick
- 1 small (1/2 cup)sweet onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- 1 cup Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Feta (optional)
Makes about 6 cups.
Best consumed within 3- 4 days.
Farro: There are 3 types of farro– whole, semi-pearled and pearled. Pearled farro is quick cooking, done in 15-20 minutes. Whole and semi-pearled take longer to cook and may need more water… so read your package instructions and plan accordingly.
***If you are unsure which type of farro you have, cook it using the “pasta method”. Simmer in a big pot of salted water, ( like you would pasta) until tender but still chewy. Drain, and set over a trainer for 5 minutes. Check at 15 minutes, then every so often. Whole-grain farro can take up to 40 minutes or even longer.
Keywords: farro salad, Mediterranean Farro Salad, zucchini farro salad, chickpea farro salad