Mediterranean Farro Salad with Marinated Zucchini & Chickpeas, fresh herbs and optional feta, tossed a simple lemony dressing.
- 1 ½ cups (270grams) pearled farro (see notes)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pound zucchini, thinly sliced into half-moons, about ¼” thick
- 1 small (1/2 cup)sweet onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas
- 1 cup Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Feta (optional)
Makes about 6 cups.
Best consumed within 3- 4 days.
Farro: There are 3 types of farro– whole, semi-pearled and pearled. Pearled farro is quick cooking, done in 15-20 minutes. Whole and semi-pearled take longer to cook and may need more water… so read your package instructions and plan accordingly.
***If you are unsure which type of farro you have, cook it using the “pasta method”. Simmer in a big pot of salted water, ( like you would pasta) until tender but still chewy. Drain, and set over a trainer for 5 minutes. Check at 15 minutes, then every so often. Whole-grain farro can take up to 40 minutes or even longer.
Keywords: farro salad, Mediterranean Farro Salad, zucchini farro salad, chickpea farro salad